Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any drunkards from Birmingham in your tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any drunkards from Birmingham in your tree?

Just noticed a new addition to Ancestry

Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, Pub Blacklist, 1903-1906 - Ancestry.co.uk

In order to enforce the 1902 Sale of Liquor to Habitual Drunkard’s Licensing Act, the Watch Committee of the City of Birmingham provided licensed liquor sellers and clubs with photos and descriptions of people deemed “habitual drunkards,” who were not to be sold liquor. The 82 persons in the book were convicted of drunkenness between 1903 and 1906, typically at the Birmingham City Police Court.

Each entry includes both a picture (usually with a front and profile view) and a description with such details as:

* Name and alias
    * Residence
    * Place of Employment
    * Physical description, including hair, eyes, complexion, shape of face, and scars or marks
    * Profession
    * Date and nature of conviction and sentence

If you find a member of your family here, you’ll discover a marvelous snapshot of an individual at a moment in time — albeit a difficult moment. If not, you’ll still find a compelling portrait of a segment of society that rarely takes center stage.
    Elaine

If you just enter a conviction year of 1905 +/- 2 years, you get the full listing of the 82 people in the database.

.. or click on this link and you can browse through the image collection - Images - Birmingham Black List
    Elaine

Comment

None from Birmingham - but interesting to see the varying descriptions on there
      Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 26-12-09, 14:35. Reason: can't spell brum!!!
      Barbara

Comment

None of mine but really fab looking through the photos :xmas_yes:

Comment

There's a drunken woman with tattoos, just like modern times!

Comment

I do have someone in Birmingham who apparently died of drink - but he was a publican...

Comment

I don't have any family from Birmingham but it would be worth being able to claim one to get a photo wouldn't it.
              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

There are some great 'mug shots' :xmas_laugh:
                Elaine

Comment

I wonder if someone could have a quick look for Harry Rogers...my gg-grandfather. He was actually Harry, rather than Henry.
                  Many thanks!
                  Kind regards,
                  William
                  Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                    I wonder if someone could have a quick look for Harry Rogers...my gg-grandfather. He was actually Harry, rather than Henry.
                    Many thanks!
                    Nothing showing for him.
                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine.

Was it just me or, was it mostly women :xmas_eek:

Some of the faces on them - its no wonder they turned to drink :xmas_laugh::xmas_laugh:
                      Jacky

Comment

At a quick glance I don't see any of mine .... although I have one particular black sheep who would have fitted in there very well

However .... having started to look through the gallery, many of them seem to have a number of aliases, so it might pay to peruse each one rather than just checking the list of names.

Think I'll just pour myself another while I do so ...

Oops, found one
                        Last edited by Blackberry; 27-12-09, 00:51.

Comment

Elaine,

That's a brilliant find! None of mine I don't think but I wish one of them was those mug shots are 'something else!!'
                          Margaret

Comment

Thanks for alerting us to this. None of mine there - but a great resource if you do happen to get a Hit.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

hmmmn I'll have a butchers at this.... I have some family in Brum..
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

My lady actually looks quite handsome and smartly dressed, compared with most of them. She is not the one I would have expected to find there!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                  Nothing showing for him.
                                  Thanks for looking!
                                  Kind regards,
                                  William
                                  Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Wish I had someone on this list.
                                    Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Blackberry View Post
                                      My lady actually looks quite handsome and smartly dressed, compared with most of them. She is not the one I would have expected to find there!
                                      Are you going to tell us her name? :smilee:

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                                      Wish I had someone on this list.
                                      So do I, I had a browse through yesterday at some of them. It is very interesting.

Comment

She's Image 78

Comment

Working...
                                        X