No announcement yet.

Has anyone heard of 'The Parish Chest'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone heard of 'The Parish Chest'?

I have just stumbled across another genealogy forum
    B-G Forums sponsored by Parish Chest Ltd. - Powered by vBulletin

It is run by a company who call themselves the Parish Chest, has any one heard of them?

I found, looking through some postings, that there are people looking for my Pooles and will be contacting them.
    Not interested in the forum as a whole, because whe have a great one here and the Wikki we have is second to none.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post

It is run by a company who call themselves the Parish Chest, has any one heard of them?

I found, looking through some postings, that there are people looking for my Pooles and will be contacting them.
    Not interested in the forum as a whole, because whe have a great one here and the Wikki we have is second to none.
    Parish Chest is one of the largest online family history shops.
    It contains products from a large number of providers including Anguline Research Archives and many Family History Societies.
    A recommended way to buy online especially for those who live overseas.

British-Genealogy Forum was founded by Rod Neep (ArchiveCDbooks) as a departure from the older mailing list hosted on Rootsweb.
    When Rod retired Parish Chest took over forum.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Yes, Ive used them for lots of stuff.

Comment

Will register and answer the thread on the Pooles of malmesbury then, as they are my tree

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Both excellent sites

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
          Not interested in the forum as a whole, because whe have a great one here...
          Personally, I don't think it has to be an 'either/or' choice as I find both forums to be excellent. Not only do both run on vBulletin software (which means that the appearance, features and navigation are very similar), but both are populated (mainly) by friendly, knowledgeable people (and yes, there is some overlap between them).

I believe that B-G Forums has a somewhat larger membership, and as a result their 'Research Qs & As' are divided among a fairly large number of individual categories. This is a mixed blessing at times, but for frequent visitors, the 'New Posts' tab overcomes some of the limitations. I think they have have fewer non-research (i.e., 'Community') categories (or at least proportionally fewer non-research postings), but that's something which may appeal to some people.

I've been a member of FTF since it was created and contribute periodically to the site's upkeep, so I tend to think of this site as home. Still, I would hate to give up B-G Forums - it's like a very pretty and friendly neighbouring village.

Just one opinion -

Tim
          "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

I didn't know of this site. Thank you for letting us know about it.

Hugo

Comment

I dip in and out of it too and sometimes find useful bits.............

Gwyn
              Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

I agree with Tim, and because their research forums are varied there are some people who are pretty cluey on particular subjects. For example, I found them most helpful with my 'sailors'. It is well worth a visit Trevor, just to check through the site to see what it has to offer.

I'm am a big fan of FTF though, and find everyone on here most helpful. This is my Home base

Comment

Working...
                X