Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching from afar

Hi,

Wondering if there is anyone who can help me search for my great grandfathers family,his name I know was born John verney Owen, later known as John Verney Raynes Owen, I know that he was featured in the london gazette in 1945 in the labour of ministry, um just wondering if anyone would be able to help me find some photos of information of him later than this date, possibly when and where he is buried,possibly emigrated as can not find a search on him, may have been buried as John Verney Owen,
    he was married to Annie Smith in 1918, He served in the first world war of which I have got all his war records, I would love to find out weather he remarried and had other children, we were told he died in ww1 but this seems not to be the case. Thanks

labour of ministry or Ministry of Labour?

(Marriage took place Kingston Surrey)

when was he born please?

Why do you think he remarried? Did Annie die? where? when?
    What children did he have that you know of & where
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 25-12-09, 06:59.
    Jess

Comment

This seems to be his death - The certificate may give you some clues i.e. Who registered the death.

John Verney R Owen - Birth Date: 2 Jan 1894 - Death Registration - Oct - Dec quarter 1978
      Registration district - Dover - Kent - Volume 16 - Page 0954

His marriage cert might help - Annie's age might help you trace her death etc.

Marriages Dec 1918
      Owen John V R Smith Kingston 2a 1124
      Smith Annie Owen Kingston 2a 1124
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-12-09, 11:20.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you for your responce

Um he was born, Wimbledon parish, in 2nd January 1894, my grandmother was his daughter Betty Beryl Mildred Owen/Wood she was born in Dublin,
        January 28th 1918,

Annie Smith Got remarried and my family lost trace of John Verney

Dover Kent thank you Chrissie he died the year I was born so thats amazing,

17th Dogra regiment in the indian Army, later injured in ww1 1916 at the somme and was transfered home by boat,

John Verney Raynes Owen
        1894-1978

Comment

I know that Annie smith married several more times, is there any sign that John verney Owen remarried,

Comment

This is his birth, still looking for him in 1901 and 1911. Cannot see any obvous freebmd entries for John VR Owen(s) second marriage.

Births Mar 1894
            Owens John Verney R Wandsworth 1d 784

Di
            Last edited by dicole; 25-12-09, 23:18.
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

There's this possible in 1901 - was his father Robert ?

Sepham Heath, Shoreham, Kent (Sevenoaks District)

Robert Owen 49 Ag.Lab. born Festinlaf Wales
              Jane Owen 51 born Boston Lincs
              Robert Owen 15 born Wandsworth
              Richard Owen 12 born Wandsworth
              John Owen 9 Born Wandsworth

A quick search without credits, I think they are still in the Sevenoaks District in 1911.

Is John's daughter Betty Beryl also the daughter of Annie Smith, as she was born in Jan 1918, but they did not marry (or get it registered) until the Dec Quarter of 1918 ?

Di
              Last edited by dicole; 25-12-09, 23:42.
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

um I have the 1911 census his father

he is also John Owen and his mother Jessie Owen, with some siblings, I have his address which was Queens road so I am pretty certain that this is the right family, however yes his daughter was Betty Beryl and his wife Annie Smith, I have his ww1 records and now know that he lived through the war with severe injury but lived all the same, I would love to know a little about a great grandfather I know that he was shot in the leg on the 1st day of the somme in ovilliers but stayed in the army, we did consider the possiblilty that he was not the father of my grandmother but his war records definitely places him in Dublin 9/10 months before my grandmother was born so with the few facts I have I think the records I have are him,

I was born in 1978 so its a little uncanny that his death was my birth year, it is so interesting, I would love to find an account about him,

Comment

The London Gazette Supplement of 8 Jun 1915 lists John VR Owen as appointed as Temporary Second Lieutenant.

The London Gazette Supplement of 8 Nov 1935, lists his appointment as a Clerk, Special Class, to the Ministry of Labour.

If you get his death cert. from 1978, the informant of the death might give some clues as to what had been happening to him since he split with Annie Smith.

So Betty Beryl was registered and baptised as SMITH ? if her parents did not marry until Dec 1918 ?

Do you have a sub. to Ancestry - you could look through the British Phone Books (1880-1964) on-line, if you knew the address of his death, you might find a matching one in the phone book
                  Last edited by dicole; 26-12-09, 06:58.
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia

Comment

On Ancestry there are 3 John V R Owen marriages in June 1953, Dec 1960 and Mar 1964 I doubt that they are all him but it's quite an unusual combination of initials so at least one of them could be him. His death certificate may have been registered by a widow or even a half sibling of your grandma, so definitely worth ordering. Good luck.
                    :D Carolyn

Comment

An update on John Verney Raynes Owen

Thank you for all the information regarding John Verney Raynes Owen I have ordered his death certificate and found some interesting facts,
                      He was married four times 1918,1953,1960,1964
                      possibly living
                      Irene Veryard DOB 1899 death 1983

His death certificate states that his third wife possibly livingOwen registered his death so either he never changed his will or Irene Pilkington had already died,

So many more questions appearing,

If anyone knows any info on the women that he married,age birth marriages if they had any children together,

Jean Gallienne is quite an unsual name the only one I can find in 1953 is a nineteen year old girl but help in order to find some more info would be great,
                      Last edited by jennie; 26-01-10, 21:44.

Comment

Working...
                      X