Father's name on marriage cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's name on marriage cert

I have a marriage cert for relatives - the groom's father's name appears but I understood that he was dead by this time.Would it still be completed if his father wasn't present at the wedding?

Yes, there are spaces on the marriage certificate for the names and "rank or profession" of the fathers of the bride and groom. If one or other father is dead, the word (deceased) should appear after his name. Scottish certificates give the same details for mothers also, as well as their maiden names.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

the fact that the father is deceased may not necessarily appear on the marriage certificate. I assume that if the bridal party don't volunteer the information it won't be recorded. I have a couple of marriage certs where the father has died (I have the death cert for him) but this fact does not appear on the marriage cert. In one case, it would have been useful to know that the bride's father had died, and that would have saved a lot of hunting for the father's death cert.

Anne

Comment

Not to forget that the inverse can happen if the family has split up. I have (at least) two examples of that in my own tree:
        1] My parents' marriage record, in 1941, records my paternal grandfather as deceased, but he didn't die until 1967 (if my research is correct, and it's pretty compelling).
        2] My maternal grandparents' marriage, in June 1916, records her father as deceased but he didn't die until October 1917.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thank you all for your replies. I am new to this research and have found conflicting information that I can't make sense of.What would your take on this situation be please.

I have found the following records of my gt gt Grandmother Sarah B Christopher;

1851 census (1st record I have) she is shown as 35, a widow living as a servant in a household headed by Jackson

1861 census she is heading her own household, shown as 44, a char woman with an 8 year old son - William Christopher

1875 William Christopher's marriage cert in the space for father's name is written Robert Christopher.

I am wondering if an already widowed Sarah got pregnant and gave the son's father as her dead husband? How do you think I can find more out?

Comment

Could you tell us a little more about Sarah and William post 1861?
            There is possibly more than one Christopher family around at that time - which part of the country are you looking at?

What occupation is given for the groom's father on the marriage cert?
            Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-12-09, 09:33.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think Friant is talking about William Christopher, who is on 1881 census in Wigan.

He is there with wife Annie.
              His mother is listed as being born in Sussex
              Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 24-12-09, 14:40.

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Found marriage of Sarah to a 'Christopher' in Wigan.

1841 BMD ref Wigan Dec 21 475
                A sarah Body married Robert Christopher.

1849 a Robert Christopher dies
                BMD ref Wigan Dec 21 582 .

This ties up with the 'widow' on the 1851 census in Wigan.

BUT....I have also found a Sarah Bodey on the 1841 census in Wigan, this lists place of birth as Lancaster!

If you do not have an Ancestry.com account, I can pass you copies of the certificates. (You know me as skippy on the WOLF).

Trev

PS
                There are two possible births for William c1853 in Wigan.
                Births Mar 1853

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Christopher William Wigan 8c 46
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Births Jun 1853
                Christopher William Wigan 8c 61

PPS.

There IS a Sarah Body on the 1841 census from Hellingly in Sussex (so does tie up with later census PoBs).
                She is in the same address as a William Body age 22 (a year older than Sarah), with occupation of Carpenter.
                Unfortunately, the 1841 census does not distinguish 'husband and wife' from 'Brother and sister', so it could be either?
                Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 24-12-09, 14:51. Reason: added birth records

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Looking at Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths it looks as if one of those was born in Wigan, itself, and one in Hindley. The counties don't tend to split their records into quarters, so I can't tell which is which. At the moment, the Wigan records don't seem to have had mmn added in (as some other areas have).

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Assuming Sarah was widowed and hadn't remarried when her son was born he would have been illegitimate and taken his mother's surname. He may have been told (Sarah may have told others) that her dead husband was the father. Or he may have just used that name on his marriage to appear respectable.

The birth cert might - or might not - help.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks all - you have supplied me with more new leads.
                      I would love the certs please Trev if that's OK.
                      I don't have an ancestory.com account, is this a good research tool? I have bought credits on findmypast.com

Many thanks

Comment

The Sarah Body on 1841 Census in Sussex can be followed through later census' as still being in Sussex up to 1871 census.
                        She then appears on the 1881 and 1891 census a widow in Chorlton Lancashire.

This does not tie up with what Friant has said in her post on 24/12/09, so looks like whe have been looking at the wrong Sarah Body?

Researching:

Comment

Working...
                        X