Henry Iliffe G(h)ent - help needed in finding him please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Iliffe G(h)ent - help needed in finding him please

I'm struggling with my gt gt Uncle Henry Iliffe Gent or Ghent - (some of his siblings added an 'h' to their surname). He was a witness at his elder sister (my gt grandmother) Sarah's wedding, signing as Harry Gent, in Northampton on 13 March 1877 aged 22. However after that I'm struggling to find him. He doesn't appear to have died prior to 1881 and I can't see him in the 1881 census. He was born in Northampton.

I don't have access at present to shipping lists but it is possible that he could've gone to the USA or Australia. (His youngest brother Thomas Ghent did go to Australia.) Any help or suggestions gratefully received - my eyes are going squiggy at looking for him. (My father had the same christian names).
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Australian Electoral Rolls, there is a Henry Iliffe Gent, listed in 1913 & 1919 Queensland/Capricornia/Clermont & in 1925 in Queensland/Kennedy/Clermont.
    Possibly had a wife named Pauline.
    Moggie

Comment

Fab Moggie - that has to be him I can't imagine that there are many Henry Iliffe's around! Which records did you use to find him? Sitting here in a very frozen UK - Australia is very appealing at present!
      Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo the Bodger View Post
        Fab Moggie - that has to be him I can't imagine that there are many Henry Iliffe's around! Which records did you use to find him? Sitting here in a very frozen UK - Australia is very appealing at present!
        Hi Bo
        Found the records on Ancestry. On Findmypast there's a male Gent born c 1855 going to Melbourne in 1893. I don't have a sub to get the full details.
        Moggie

Comment

According to the Queensland BMD Indexes (on-line at https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSear...nu=IndexSearch ) -

Henry Iliffe Gent married Pauline Ebart in 1910. No children were registered to them up to 1914. And no-one with them as parents died up to 1964. Electoral roll says Henry was a Storekeeper and Pauline home duties

Henry Iliffe Gent died in 1926 (son of Thomas and Annie), and so did Pauline Gent (age 71 y born in Germany).

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

That is my gt gt uncle. He would've been 55 when he married Pauline so perhaps no children is not unexpected. I'll buy some credits for FMP and then have a shuffty around the Melbourne to see whether he married earlier in life.
            Bo

Comment

Working...
            X