where do i look next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where do i look next

My great grandfather James Robert Iles was born in Wandsworth May 1844,he married and moved to Cheam and then Sutton in Surrey,I have his birth cert and his marriage cert. On the 1891 census he was living in Sutton with his wife Sarah and 4 children although he was named as Robert Iles and they stated that he was born in Cheam and that he was born in 1847,He could not read or write so i can take some of that with a pinch of salt. On the 1901 census his wife Sarah is now the head of the family,and in between that time Two of his children got married one was my Grandfather who married in 1897 and the other one was his sister who married the same year,on both their marriage certs James was listed as the witness ,now this could have been their brother James or their Father i cannot tell which,what i am trying to ascertain is what happened to My Great Grandfather James between 1891 and 1901, i do know on his last remaining daughers marriage cert in 1914 she lists her father as deceased,There is no reference to his death in both BMD or Ancestry records that i can see,so where would i look next?

There's a James ILES in Brixton Hill, aged 62, born Wandsworth, a postman, with a younger wife called Emma. RG13/427 fo 134 p 10

I haven't checked to see where he was in 1891.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Cheam and Sutton are adjacent (I lived in both before I was married).
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

ILES is open to mistranscription, of course, but I couldn't spot a likely candidate even then in the deaths index.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine
          I have already checked the James iles who was a postman but it is not the same person,thanks

Comment

Well then you're down to considering what might have happened:

a] death - misrecorded, mistranscribed, as just "male"
            b] divorce/separation - ?possible remarriage with/out divorce - change of name?
            c] e/migration - have you checked the passenger lists?

Christine

Comment

Christine
              It is more likely,that it would be in your first two categories,there must be a record of his death somewhere,as i know positively he only lived his later years in Sutton,so somewhere there must be a death cert registered,his wife died in 1904 and he definitely wasn,t living with her at the time ,i believe he had already died but i cannot prove it

Comment

we have another member on here looking into the Iles family
                maybe you are connected to him?

Oliveriles is his username, maybe a PM? might be fruitful?
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                  we have another member on here looking into the Iles family
                  maybe you are connected to him?

Oliveriles is his username, maybe a PM? might be fruitful?
                  And you could have a look in the GEDCOM database to see if anyone else matches with you.

Comment

Originally posted by St Demon 4 View Post
                    Christine
                    It is more likely,that it would be in your first two categories,there must be a record of his death somewhere,as i know positively he only lived his later years in Sutton,so somewhere there must be a death cert registered,his wife died in 1904 and he definitely wasn,t living with her at the time ,i believe he had already died but i cannot prove it
                    My paternal grandfather was described as deceased on my parents' marriage cert (1941), but didn't actually die (if my research is correct) until 1967. We used to be told he'd died in WW1, but he appears to have emigrated to north America. My grandmother married again, after seven years, in 1923.

What I'm trying to say is that, just because a couple wasn't living together doesn't mean that one had died.

Christine

Comment

I have a deserted wife in 1891 describing herself as a widow. Very prescient - her straying husband died of TB a couple of years later and she didn't last long herself.

Comment

I searched the ancestry and freebmd indexes for years for the death of my great-great grandfather Christopher Eccles. I was told he lived until his 90s, which narrowed the time frame (he was born in 1847). When the Manchester Burial records came on-line, I was able to find a likely burial for him, and asked the local Manchester Record Office for a matching death - and it was indeed him. For some reason (probably Christmas, he died Dec 21st), the record was never sent on to the GRO (or whatever it was then).

So, find out the local Record Office for Sutton and ask them to look in their records.
                        They don't need a GRO reference.

Di
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia
                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
                        X