Shipping Eng-Australia c 1910-1915

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Eng-Australia c 1910-1915

Beatrice Bullard (nee Howell) born c 1880 - travelled to Fremantle, West Australia, from England (probably around London), as she was born and lived around Lambeth, Surrey. She had with her 3 children Henry George Bullard b 1905, Anne & Beatrice. No husband travelled with them, so we can assume he died earlier.

His name was Sydney A Bullard, b c. 1880 in St Saviour, Southwark, Surrey. Beatrice & Sydney married in 1902 at St Saviour, Southwarck, Surrey.

Can anyone assist with a) shipping list and b) Death of Sydney A Bullard.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Hi Jood - There is this one;-
    Deaths Jun 1931
    Bullard Sydney A 57 Norwich 4b 125
    Could it be him? Anyway they could have divorced perhaps??
    Married in 1905 -
    Marriages Mar 1905
    Bullard Sydney Archibald Norwich 4b 170
    DAVEY Ellen Evangeline Norwich 4b 170
    Durrant Robert John Norwich 4b 170
    Riches Annie Norwich 4b 170
    Last edited by naomiatt; 21-12-09, 09:54.

Comment

A possibility Naomi, hard to say. The only thing, being in Australia Im not sure how far away Norwich from Southwark, Surrey?

Thanks for trying.

Comment

Hi - I might stand corrected on this - I think it's about 180k's...so a fair way.
        I'm not sure if this link will work, but Southwark is not far from the River Thames in South East London - it was part of Surrey until 1889
        southwark uk - Google Maps
        London Borough of Southwark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        If you google map Norwich, Norfolk UK, and zoom out a bit...you'll see it in perspective to London
        Any idea what Sydney's occupation was? That might give a clue to the location..

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
          A possibility Naomi, hard to say. The only thing, being in Australia Im not sure how far away Norwich from Southwark, Surrey?
          Google maps is always a good resource for getting an idea of places. Also Worldwide map search, route finder and travel directions - powered by Multimap and (in UK) Streetmap - Maps and directions for the whole of Great Britain or Get-a-map online free from Ordnance Survey, Britain's national mapping agency. Or Google Earth.

Southwark is (now) part of London, and has always been very close to the City (there are references in Shakespeare). Being a centre of trade/commerce/shipping, it would have attracted people from all over in the search for work. Norwich isn't exactly nearby - but, in C20th terms, by no means out of range. Even before that, people travelled surprising distances in search of a better life.

For example...In my OH's tree, I have someone who appears to have been born in York in 1800, but baptised in Portsea (a.k.a. Portsmouth and area) on 5 April 1800. Portsmouth is about 218 miles from York, and almost exactly due south. The increasingly busy naval dockyards at Portsmouth could have been an attraction for his father, directly or indirectly.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The passenger list will be on FindMyPast. I don't have a sub for that, but this looks like them, from the free index:

BULLARD B 1881 F 1921 London Australia Fremantle
            BULLARD H 1906 M 1921 London Australia Fremantle
            BULLARD B 1910 F 1921 London Australia Fremantle
            BULLARD A 1917 F 1921 London Australia Fremantle

Comment

Their marriage is on the LMA records on Ancestry. They married on 31-3-1901 (co-incidentally, that is the same date as the 1901 census was taken). According to the marriage register, he was just "Sydney Bullard" (no middle name) and he was a carman. His father was Frederick Bullard, a basket maker.

There is a Sydney Bullard and also a Sidney Bullard on the CWGC website - they died in 1916 and 1917 respectively. No ages given, unfortunately.
              Last edited by Richard in Perth; 21-12-09, 11:03.

Comment

Christine, Naomi & Richard,

First Naomie & Christine - thanks for telling me where Southwark was - Is Hertfordshire anywhere near Surrey then?

Richard - surely it must be them in 1921!!!!! Thank you so much. I will investigate further. I take it the name of the ship was not mentioned?

No, no info as to what Sydney's occupation was. He is a real mystery man. We dont know if he died before Beatrice came to Australia, or if they were divorced.

I dont think that is him married in 1905 as he was married to Beatrice (Howell) around that time and first child Henry born that year - or 1906

Sorry for the slow reply - was having dinner here !

Comment

He didn't have a middle name at his birth registration either. Where did you get the middle initial from?

Births Mar 1880
                  Bullard Sydney St. Saviour 1d 39

regarding the passenger list - you'll either need to buy some credits on FindMyPast, or find some kind person with a sub! The ship will be mentioned, but not in the free index.

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                    Christine, Naomi & Richard,

First Naomie & Christine - thanks for telling me where Southwark was - Is Hertfordshire anywhere near Surrey then?
                    < snip>
                    "If it wasn't fer the ahses in between" - yes, Hertfordshire is quite near Surrey, but London intervenes. Have a look on one of those sites we mentioned!

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Mrs B Bullard age 40 Housewife of 69C Station Road Camberwell SE5
                      Miss B do age 11
                      Miss A do age 4
                      Master H age 15
                      Sailed on the ORMONDE 20 August 1921 to Freemantle
                      As it states Housewife not widow maybe Sydney was still alive. I will see if I can find him sailing earlier,

Comment

Richard looking at my sister's records, it appears there was an entry in Ancestry showing Bullard, Sydney A/Sidney b 1880 in St Saviour, Surry UK - that's all I know -
                        In the 1881 census he is just "Sydney"

Thanks re the ship's name Richard, I'm not too familiar with Find My Past - and I'm even wondering what CWGC is as well (can you help?)

I'll discard the "A" in his name then.

Comment

Hi Christine - I had a look at the maps - I found the towns, but had no idea how far they were from each other, tho you did say. It is all too unfamiliar for me! Still I am glad to have the sites. Will sort everything out later.

Anyway Fortuna, many thanks for finding the ship they sailed on, and Richard for finding the marriage and birth of Sydney. Fortuna, the family dont seem to think Sydney came to Australia - so Beatrice either left him, or divorced?

Comment

I can't find a passage or death for Sydney but have found the birth of the youngest child.
                            Annie Bullard Mar 1/4 of 1916 Mother's maiden name Howell, Camberwell. So he could have sailed after 1916 or died after 1915. To be the father of Annie he had to be with the family in 1915

Comment

Just seen your replies. Has anyone looked at the 1911 not that that will help much but I'll see if I can find him,

Comment

Together in 1911 living at 136 GBlock Waterloo Square Camberwell and married for 11 years giving a marriage date of abt 1901
                                Sydney Bullard 31 Builders Labourer Born Camberwell
                                Beatrice Bullard 31 Housework Southwark
                                Sydney William Born 1901 Camberwell
                                Henry George Born 1905 Camberwell
                                Beatrice Lilian Born 1909 Camberwell

So it seems the first child is Sydney William born 1901 (not on the passenger list - he would be 20) and the last Annie born 1916.
                                I think that's right,

Comment

Just found marriage Sydney Bullard and Beatrice Howell Mar 1/4 1901 St Saviour which I believe comes under Southwark,

Comment

Sydney William Bullard didn't emigrate - he stayed in England and married Mary Johnson in Scarborough, Yorks in 1925. He died in Scarborough in 1968 (aged 66).

There was another son of Sydney & Beatrice born in 1913 who died in 1915, aged 2:

Births Jun 1913
                                    Bullard Frank E Howell Camberwell 1d 1510

Deaths Jun 1915
                                    BULLARD Frank E 2 Lambeth 1d 448

Comment

Beatrice L Bullard married John C Buhrer in Perth, 1926.
                                      Henry G Bullard married Kathleen P Weir in Perth, 1927.
                                      Anne Bullard married Lawrence Trindad in Yilgarn, 1934.

WA Metropolitan Cemeteries Board

Beatrice Bullard died 21/7/1967 in Highgate, WA - aged 87.
                                      Henry George Bullard died 30/5/1967 in Wembley, WA - aged 62.
                                      Beatrice Lillian Buhrer died 5/10/1983 in Bedford, WA - aged 74
                                      Annie Trinidad died 31/3/2004 in Belmont, WA - aged 88

Comment

Thanks for the info that they were living in Camberwell, and that another two children have come to light.

That son whom we knew nothing about - who married Mary Johnson is all new to us. but as for the father Sydney Bullard - we are still wondering what happened to him.

Thanks for the Perth info Richard - I'm very grateful for it all - it's just the elusive father we're trying to track down now!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X