Clear All

• unsure of this theatre of war column

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
    about William Elgar
    Name: William Elgar
    Birth Place: Mile End, Middlesex
    Residence: Stratford, Essex
    Death Date: 30 Sep 1915
    Regiment: Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment)
    Battalion: 13th Battalion.
    Number: G/1328
    Type of Casualty: Died of wounds
    Theatre of War: Aldershot

The above is my grans first husband, the bit that is confuing me is , he is buried in France at Bethune Town Cemetery . Why does it say theatre of war Aldershot when thats the army base .?

Peter

It is a known error on the Ancestry database.
    For some reason a number of entries have Aldershot given incorrectly as Theatre as War .. just ignore it!
    Elaine

Comment

I am glad it is an error as i could not see how that was possible.

It is sad to see that they were married for under 2 years, according to family his wife was an auxilary nurse and that is where she met her second husband .
      We know gran never spoke about her first husband which i can understand as that would bring back bad memories.

Peter

Comment

A mere 559,707 are listed as having died in Aldershot - not to mention the 32,566 who fell at Brough - Sic but only 1,373 in France & Flanders

It is absolutely pathetic that Ancestry can't or won't correct the errors in this database that they have been advised of on countless occasions (and in general I'm not a knocker of Ancestry - but this really bugs me)

BTW Peter - the information listed for William in the correct version is born Mile End - ENLISTED - Stratford - there is no entry under Residence

Cheers
        Sue

Comment

I have found his service record, he is listed as born in Mile Pond , now ..

Peter

Comment

Peter,

I still found a note to the battalion
            following web address:
            The Middlesex Regiment in 1914-1918

13th (Service) Battalion
            Formed at Mill Hill in September 1914 as part of K3 and attached to 73rd Brigade, 24th Division. Moved to the South Downs. Went to billets in Hove in December 1914 and thence to Shoreham in May 1915 and Pirbright in June.
            2 September 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

Wolf

Comment

My Grandfather is buried in the same Cemetery Peter. His entry says Aldershot too, which I couldn't understand.

Have you been to the Cemetery? It is nicely kept.

I have a photo of his grave that I took in 1977.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find his service records on Ancestry.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

As far as is known to me, were no details made out of fear of spying in 1st World War and in the 2nd World War!
                Was these behaviours on all sides at once.
                The opponent would have and the place name information about the respective strength of the troop received due to the details of the unit. The weapon effectiveness in the front periods (number of injured and dead bodies) also would have given the opponent references to his leadership and the use of his weapons.
                Instead of the current details only data were published, this one was already known to the opponent.
                Wolf

Comment

Wendy, no i have not been as i only confirmed that he is my Grans first husband this morning,
                  His record shows he signed up on the 6th Sept and was dead by the 30th Sept . That is awful hard to take in isnt it.

He also had been in the Africa campaign before going to Flanders .

Wolf,
                  That does make sense not to divulge too much so the opposition can guage how well or not they are doing.

We sometimes forget that what we the British families went through so did the German mums and dads when thier sons were sent to war never to return also.

I am sure that many on both sides did not want to fight or went not knowing what to expect only to find the horrors that awaited them far more graphic than they expected .

We can thank the internet for bringing us closer to our relatives and thier lives however that may have turned out.

Peter

Comment

Peter
                    You are right.
                    From my family relatives have fought in the World Wars on the two sides and have not come home partly again. Unfortunately, the wars between brothers decline very far in the history. It has usually been economic causes which led to the war. The population usually did not have influence. No war was in Europe almost 100 years once. Little boy battles excepted once at the respective borders. But otherwise the family was always engaged in some members of discussions with other anyway and usually lost her fathers, sons and brothers there.
                    Wolf

Comment

Peter if you want a photograph of his headstone, the following website can provide one for you for £3.00.

I sent for one for my grandfather and I received two photos within hours of ordering them.

The War Graves Photographic Project
                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thank you Wendy i have ordered a copy from them .

Peter

Comment

Peter - purely in the pursuit of accuracy you might want to check that Ancestry brought up the correct record for you.

William actually enlisted on 14th September 1914, was promoted to Corporal - presumably on the strength of his previous service - on 29th September 1914 and served at home (ie in Britain - which ties in with the record of the 13th Bn Wolf posted from the Long Long Trail website) until going to France on 1st September 1915 (this ties in with the date of entry on his MIC) - still making his 'active' service period in France a very short time

Also his marriage to your grandmother was for only just over 4 months

Tragic times indeed

Sue

Comment

Working...
                          X