CWGC help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWGC help please

I can't get on to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site for some reason.

Can anyone else access The Debt of Honour there please? I'm looking for Gordon Leonard Knowles.

I keep getting page cannot be found ???????????????

Comment

Ditto!
      Elaine

Comment

Ah well, thanks for trying ladies. Guess there's a hitch at their end, I'll have to be patient.

Comment

Hi - I tried it via the Australian site and it came up -

Surname Rank Service Number Date Of Death Age Regiment/Service Nationality Grave/Memorial Ref. Cemetery/Memorial Name
          1 KNOWLES , GEORGE LEONARD Sapper 1888813 02/11/1943 32 Royal Engineers United Kingdom 2. B. 29. KANCHANABURI WAR CEMETERY

Name: KNOWLES, GEORGE LEONARD
          Initials: G L
          Nationality: United Kingdom
          Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers
          Unit Text: 288 Field Coy.
          Date of Death: 02/11/1943
          Service No: 1888813
          Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
          Grave/Memorial Reference: 2. B. 29.
          Cemetery: KANCHANABURI WAR CEMETERY

I have some general photo's from Kanchanaburi if you'd like them. We went there a few years ago, River Kwai etc. It's a lovely cemetery, really well kept.
          Last edited by naomiatt; 19-12-09, 21:28.

Comment

Thankyou Naomi, thats very kind of you.

(There's a place somewhere on this site for war memorials abroad)

Found it

Last edited by Jill on the A272; 19-12-09, 21:47. Reason: added link

Comment

Naomi, if you have some photos of non UK war memorials you might like to contribute them to our Wiki page.
              War Memorials - Family Tree Forum
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Naomi, If you have any War memorial/cemetery photos for Kanchanaburi and would like to make a contribution to the Wiki, I'd be really happy to put them up for you.

Comment

Hi - happy to put the photo's on..John, can you send me your private e mail and I'll send them on.....I also have stones with specific names...did you just want general memorial plaques etc?

Comment

Hi Naomi, I've sent you a PM.

Comment

Hi - about a million photo's have been sent to you! Slight exaggeration! :xmas_biggrin: - I also added some from Changi/Kranji War Cemetery in Singapore and Adelaide River Cemetery in Darwin. :xmas_sign:
                      Last edited by naomiatt; 21-12-09, 06:18.

Comment

I think about a million and one! They're fantastic Naomi! Thank you ever so much. It's going to take me a while to load them all up but will let you know once it's all done.

:xmas_laugh::xmas_laugh:

Comment

I shall be interested to see those, too, because I have someone in my tree who was in Changi, died on the Burma Railway and was buried at Kanchanaburi. Naomi, if you have stones with specific names, could you look to see if there's an HFG (Harry Fitzgerald Greville) Malet among them? He died on 04/06/1943 (I already have the details from the CWGC site).

Thanks very much

Comment

Hi - I'm afraid I only have photo's of a few stones - their names are;-
                            Lieutenant M L Russell - Intelligence Corps d.9/8/1946
                            NX952 Private H Sanders - 2/20 Infantry Battalion d.30/12/1942 aged 37
                            D Krijgsman 22/5/1919-25/7/1941 (Netherlands)
                            VX78145 Driver J Rose - Army Service Corps d.25/9/1945 aged 23
                            Sergt Inf L Onderwijzer - 8/2/1923-27/9/1943 (Netherlands)
                            and in Darwin - 162397 Leading Aircraftman F A Jaques - Royal Australian Air Force -
                            d.18/1/1945 aged 22
                            I also have a photo of an unknown soldier.
                            I've sent lots of photo's to John of general views of the cemeteries/area...would be happy to send you some direct if you like?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                              I shall be interested to see those, too, because I have someone in my tree who was in Changi, died on the Burma Railway and was buried at Kanchanaburi. Naomi, if you have stones with specific names, could you look to see if there's an HFG (Harry Fitzgerald Greville) Malet among them? He died on 04/06/1943 (I already have the details from the CWGC site).

Thanks very much

This grave has been photographed and is available on the War Graves Photographic Project. I believe you can order a copy to download for a donation of £3

The War Graves Photographic Project
                              Jackie

Comment

Jacqui Thanks for that they have a photo of my stepdads brothers grave. I have a copy of the original notification from the MOD so will be great to have the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jac View Post
                                  Jacqui Thanks for that they have a photo of my stepdads brothers grave. I have a copy of the original notification from the MOD so will be great to have the photo.
                                  Happy to have helped. I believe the project is manned by volunteers. They have over a million named graves and memorials so far
                                  Jackie

Comment

Naomi's Darwin - Australia and Singapore photos have now been uploaded to the wiki and are ready for viewing.

Many thanks Naomi! :xmas_laugh::xmas_laugh:

Thailand photos are still to be uploaded.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                                      I've sent lots of photo's to John of general views of the cemeteries/area...would be happy to send you some direct if you like?
                                      Thanks Naomi, I've just been having a look at your photos posted by John, which are very nice. No need to send any direct, as Night Owl says the grave has been photographed, but thanks very much for the offer.

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                      This grave has been photographed and is available on the War Graves Photographic Project. I believe you can order a copy to download for a donation of £3

The War Graves Photographic Project
                                      Excellent, thanks very much.

Comment

Working...
                                      X