What do you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think

I am looking for John Mowbray Burwash he was born 1903 Chorlton Lancs, ref 8C 740a O/N/D quarter. The same year Joan Mowbray Burwash 1903 O/N/D quarter ref 8c 741 Chorlton Lancs.
    At first I thought may be they are twins but not sure. I found Joan on 1911 census with her grandmother and Aunt also on various passengers list with her parents (her father is called Mowbray mother Florence) but I cannot find any trace of John, no marriage no death. I am not sure where her parents are in 1911 probally on another cruise they seem to go on a lot judging by the passenger lists.
    I am some what puzzled about John any suggestions please. These Burwash do not usually give me any trouble at all.
    GWEN

I wonder if it is a correction.
    If you look at the actual image you can see that the entry for John is typed in the alphabetical listing.
    The entry for Joan is handwritten at the bottom of the page, presumably recorded at a later date. Maybe the entry for Joan is to correct the entry for John.

Elaine

Comment

I agree, and there is a X at the side of John.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I did think about that also but went by the numbers 740A, 741 which to me indicated that Joan was entered first and John later. It seems a bit strange that John was mistaken for Joan LOL someone got their genders mixed!!
        GWEN

Comment

Hi
          If you look at the image on FreeBMD it says 8A 740A. This is odd because
          Chorlton on other entries is 8C.
          Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
            I agree, and there is a X at the side of John.
            What does an X signify? I never come across that so do you all think there was only one child and she was called Joan?
            GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
              Hi
              If you look at the image on FreeBMD it says 8A 740A. This is odd because
              Chorlton on other entries is 8C.
              Moggie
              I have the entires as 8C freebmd must have made a mistake.
              GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                What does an X signify? I never come across that so do you all think there was only one child and she was called Joan?
                An x usually indicates that they is an entry at the bottom of the page that would fit in the alphabetical order where the x is placed.
                There is another entry at the bottom of the page for Burton, with an x placed in the appropriate place where it should be listed.
                Elaine

Comment

Ahh sorry Elaine - I didn't realise that.

Even Rosanna is proving hard to find. Her birth seems to have been Sept 1868, but I can only find one that looks likely listed as Rosa in 1871 and nothing after that until 1911 :xmas_embarrassed:

Comment

It's not about mixing genders, Gwen its about misreading h for a.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      Ahh sorry Elaine - I didn't realise that.

Even Rosanna is proving hard to find. Her birth seems to have been Sept 1868, but I can only find one that looks likely listed as Rosa in 1871 and nothing after that until 1911 :xmas_embarrassed:
                      I think Chrissie has posted this on the wrong thread .. but I´m not sure where it should be!
                      Elaine

Comment

The extraordinary thing about this, to me, is that there are no incidences of BURWASH transcribed on the LancashireBMD site at all. No births. No marriages. No deaths.

And if I put the name into Ancestry.co.uk, then almost all instances seem to be in London.

Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-12-09, 22:22.
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a NY ~ Liverpool passenger list in 1921 which shows and 18-year-old female, Jean Mowbray BURWASH, travelling with Walter Mowbray BURWASH, 47, retired mariner, and Florence Mary BURWASH, 46. Their residence is in Battle, Sussex.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

Chorlton births don't appear to have been transcribed yet on Lancsbmd.

That being so, maybe Walter the retired mariner, just happened to be in Lancashire when the child was born?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              I think Chrissie has posted this on the wrong thread .. but I´m not sure where it should be!
                              Oops - the first part was in the right place but I think I must have been looking for 2 at once. I remember searching for a Rosanna but not why :xmas_embarrassed:

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                Christine

Chorlton births don't appear to have been transcribed yet on Lancsbmd.

That being so, maybe Walter the retired mariner, just happened to be in Lancashire when the child was born?

OC
                                That's a valid thought. Part of OH's tree was in Liverpool with the RN but settled in Plymouth.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                X