No announcement yet.

Birmingham Cathedral marriages anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birmingham Cathedral marriages anyone?

I've just been contacted on GR by someone whose 4x great grandfather probably links into my tree. I need more detail about a marriage than appears in the IGI transcription.

The marriage is of Lewis Cafferata to Maria Horton on 26 Apr 1824 at St. Martin, Birmingham, which I'm pretty sure is the cathedral. IGI Batch No. M010723.

What we are trying to establish is whether Lewis (or Louis) and my contact's ancestor were brothers, so I really need his father's name. Lewis was born in Italy.

Any ideas please?
    Last edited by Uncle John; 19-12-09, 15:59.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

If no one here can help, try the Birmingham History Forum. People have helped me there before with St Martin's records. (It's not the cathedral, btw, that's St Philip's if I'm not mistaken.)

Comment

Thanks for that. I now remember that the cathedral is St. Philip's.

Comment

Bumped up in case anyone can help with St. Martin's marriages.

Comment

I could probably have a look next time I'm in Birmingham - not sure when that would be mind so if no-one can help before then pm the details.

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ngham_JBee.jpg - not the best picture I've taken.

Last edited by JBee; 20-12-09, 17:31.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanx for the pictures, JBee. I'd started to wonder if St. Martins was a RC church as they were from Italy.

All the details I know are in Post #1.

Comment

The RC Cathedral is St Chads and I'm not sure if it was around at that time.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Like I suggested, visit the Birmingham History Forum

There is even a special board for St Martin's Parish Records. Very helpful people there, you will probably not have to wait long for an answer.

Comment

Thank you both for the additional information. I've now registered with BHF and await the key to the door. Looks lie a very useful resource.
                  Last edited by Uncle John; 21-12-09, 15:21.

Comment

Managed to get there today - in between shopping.

Sorry no parents named.

Have emailed you a copy.

Comment

Thank you JBee. I'm going to contact my GR person. My registration on the Birmingham History Forum has come through so I'll leave a message on the St Martin's lookups thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        My registration on the Birmingham History Forum has come through
                        That's good, UJ - you may find it a useful string to your bow if you have some Birmingham connections.

Comment

Working...
                        X