13/01/1918 France and Flanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13/01/1918 France and Flanders

If a man was to be killed in action on the above date whilst with the 10th Cheshire regiment, what battle would he have partaken in?

Any help would be great.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Might want to look here:-

The Cheshire Regiment in 1914-1918

Can't see a battle for that date.

and this one:-

Last edited by Guest; 17-12-09, 23:06.

Comment

Hiya

I have seen that page but it wasnt much help to be honest.
      There must have been some fighting as there were a fair few men who were kiiled in action around that time.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Comment

Does it actually say he was killed in action? A lot of men died just because they were ill because of the conditions and not in battle in WWI.

Comment

Yeah it states Killed in action and then theatre of war is France and Flanders.

Danny

Comment

Cheers Bob

I will definately look into the diary extracts from kew.

Danny

Comment

Danny I paid for and got mine online

Comment

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post
                Yeah it states Killed in action and then theatre of war is France and Flanders.

Danny
                Was that on 'his' medal card then?

If you want help in your research you need to give as much information you have and where you've got it from. Otherwise people will be doubling up or telling you something you already know which is a waste of time for everyone concerned.

Or in the worst case scenario people will be looking for the wrong man.

Comment

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post
                  Hiya

I have seen that page but it wasnt much help to be honest.
                  There must have been some fighting as there were a fair few men who were kiiled in action around that time.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

To find out what the Cheshires did might take a little bit more than flitting about websites.

As for a fair few men killed about around that time is a little crass - 100's of thousands got killed about and around that time.
                  Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 18-12-09, 15:44. Reason: inappropriate comment removed

Comment

Actually it looks like your man (presume he is the 43 year old with the initials "PG") was the only casualty in 10th Cheshires that day - so if Soldiers Died in the Great War is correct in recording him as KIA (and it is not a 100% reliable source) he may have been an unlucky victim of shelling or some sort of accident perhaps.

The War Diary probably is the best source of information for what was happening at that time - though he is not likely to be mentioned by name. Do also have a look at the Cemetery information on the CWGC site too. I see you have asked the question on the GWF also - hopefully there might be an expert there to give you some answers

FYI Maggie 4 7 - the medal cards - when they show a theatre of war - refer to the area the man first served overseas - not where he died - that info comes from SDGW - available online correctly at FMP - with huge errors on Ancestry - and by CD and the original books

Cheers
                    Sue

Comment

You could ask here, too -

Great War Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)
                      Joy

Comment

Working...
                      X