Immigrants from Ireland,is it possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigrants from Ireland,is it possible

Is it possible to find out where in Ireland they came from. They settled in Houghton le Spring,Durham sometime between 1844-1848 when their first child was born in this country. William,c1821wife Mary c1821 and son Johnc 1844 all born Ireland. Woult ther be any passenger lists around that time to research? please?

sunny rosy

I don't think that - at that time - Ireland would have been considered foreign enough to warrant passenger lists and the like.

You haven't mentioned a family name. Have you looked in the IGI pilot site?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

They would almost certainly have left because of the famine, something like 2 million left during those years, in circumstances of extreme hardship. Passenger lists unfortunately not likely if they left from Ireland to England or Scotland because Ireland was of course then part of the U.K so they were moving around in their own country to all intents. However bare in mind most of these people left in dire poverty and settled in innercity ghettos in English and Scottish cities where their condition were only marginaly better if at all. Therefore a great many had poor relief and or entered the workhouses over here. These sometime give a clue whereabouts in Ireland they originated from. My own relatives settled in Dundee, and the poor house registers there gave their county of origin in Ireland. From this I was able to quite swiftly find exactly which townland they came from via the county parish records, so there is hope.

Comment

What family name did they have Rosy. I can't say I'll know them though but I do come from the Houghton-Le-Spring area originally LOL
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Daphne, their surname was Reed/Reid ,it varied in the census'.
          William Reed/Reid c 1821
          Mary Reed/Reid c 1821
          John " 1844 these three born Ireland
          William 1848 Houghton le spring
          David 1849 "
          Fanny 1851 "
          George D H 1853 "
          Elizabeth 1854 " married Francis Stone 1876 Houghton le Spring
          Mary Jane 1856 "

William was a miner and then became a Church sexton.

The Stones eventually settled in Devon

sunny Rosy
          Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 17-12-09, 21:56. Reason: To add more info

Comment

If those who were born in Ireland were still alive in 1911, they should have put down their place of birth on the census.
            Fran

Comment

Sorry to say there were no passenger lists. People moved freely between the countries; Ireland was still part of Britain then.
              Joy

Comment

I didn't know the IGI Pilot site was there, I'll use that again,thanks for the tip. Will certainly see is they are there on 1911,

sunny rosy

Comment

I've got the same problem - 4 strands all born in Ireland and none of them lasted until 1911 Census. I had hoped to find an obituary notice in 1908/1910but no luck.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Are they in the 1841 census? Perhaps in Scotland?

Hugo

Comment

my hubbies family came fron cork ireland during the potato famine they landed at liverpool docks then went to london....brenda xxxx

Comment

Working...
                      X