Which death cert to send for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which death cert to send for?

I'm looking for the death of Mary SENIER (or SENIOR).

I know she was born 15 Dec 1811 and died 18 July 'in her 28th year'.

She would have been living in Skipton, Yorkshire in the early 1830s, though her mother had moved to Burnley by the mid-1840s.

So, depending on how they calculate her 28th year, she must have died July 1838 or July 1839?

There's a possible entry in FreeBMD for a Mary Senior who died Ecclesfield Q3 1838. Does Ecclesfield sound reasonable for someone who'd possibly been living in Burnely or Skipton? And does '28th year' mean age 27 or age 28?
    :xmas_confused:

I would say her 28th year would be 1839

Comment

not sure where Sturminster is but there is a Mary Senior dying there in the sep quarter of 1839

Comment

...born 15 Dec 1811 and died 18 July 'in her 28th year'
        ...And does '28th year' mean age 27 or age 28?
        The pedants around (a group which usually includes me!) will probably say that your twenty-eighth year is the one which ends in your being 28; for most of it you will still be recorded as 27. This is the logical conclusion arising from your first year being from the start of your life to your 1st birthday.

In this case, her 27th birthday would have been December 1838, and her 28th birthday would have been December 1839. July 1839 would be in her 28th year, but she'd still be recorded as 27. To be aged 28 at a death in July, it would have to be in 1840.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-12-09, 22:57.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thats my reckoning too Christine so as she would have been 28 after July 1839 then I would assume thats the area to look in Lindsay

Comment

According to GenUKI reg index, 1837 -1974 Burnley is listed as Lancs and Skipton as North Yorkshire Riding.
            Don't know if that will help you decide.

There is a Mary Ann Senior death registered in Sep Qtr 1839 in Rochdale 21/411.....is this one possible?
            Last edited by Lyn A; 17-12-09, 01:23.

Comment

I don't think Ecclesfield would cover Burnley/Skipton.

If you click on the district (Ecclesfield) in FreeBMD you can get to a description of the places covered. Ecclesfield is too far south for Skipton and in the wrong county for Burnley.

Anne
              Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 17-12-09, 10:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post
                According to GenUKI reg index, 1837 -1974 Burnley is listed as Lancs and Skipton as North Yorkshire Riding.
                Don't know if that will help you decide.

There is a Mary Ann Senior death registered in Sep Qtr 1839 in Rochdale 21/411.....is this one possible?
                Rochdale includes Spotland, and Lancs BMD has this record for a death:

SENIOR ~Mary Ann ~1839 ~age 15 ~Spotland Nearer ~Lancashire ~Rochdale

Unfortunately the other deaths recorded 1839/40 haven't been updated with ages yet.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Like you, Christine and Val, I thought her 28th year should end with her being 28...it's just a case of trying to tie up an entry on FreeBMD with that!

I also thought the Rochdale entry sounded geographically the best fit, but I've seen no refence to her being a Mary Ann, and her parents didn't generally go in for middle names (only 2 out of 9 children had them).

Looks like I'll have to try ordering with some checking points!

Comment

Working...
                  X