Opening PAF on new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening PAF on new computer

I have just bought a new computer (DELL) because my old one just couldn't cope with my work and family history any more!

I haved a mirror (external) drive, where all my documents, photos and family tree are.

I'm having problems opening my Personal Ancestral File on the new computer. I can't open it from the J: drive (the external drive) so I downloaded the PAF program from the Internet (Family Search) and then tried to open the file on that but it keeps on saying "Access denied".

What am I doing wrong, please? I'm lost without my family tree!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Try copying the PAF data file from your external hard drive on to the new computer - then try to open it again.
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine, could you tell me how to do it? I know how to copy from, but where do I put it on my new computer?

My brother-in-law is going to do a lot of sorting out for me, but I can't wait until New Year's Eve!!
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Well it depends really where you normally keep your PAF files! I don't know if the program stores them in a dedicated PAF folder.

Maybe the easiest thing to do is to create a new folder in MyDocuments- something like PAF data files - and copy the file into there. It can always be moved at a later date if that is not the default PAF storage folder.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I'm not so tired. I've spent a lot of the day getting to grips with the new computer - Windows 7, getting the printer to work etc. The scanner still doesn't work, but we'll get there!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
          X