Ogin, costa del sol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ogin, costa del sol

Hi - I've been told that there is a town called Ogin in the Costa del Sol area.
    I'm searching for that surname, and wondered if anybody knows of this town.
    I've googled, but haven't been able to find anything.
    Thanks.

Can't see anything on the map. There's an Ojen near Marbella, if that helps. Ogin doesn't sound very Spanish to me.

Comment

Nothing that I can find - in Spain or Europe!

Comment

Hi Mary and Trina - Thanks for looking....I wonder if he meant;-
        OGUIN, OLGUIN or HOLGUIN which are Sephardic...do any of those names look familiar for a place name? He had said;
        "around the Marbella area or Fuengirola, towns either end of the Costa del Sol, otherwise Andalusia, which is the name of the region"

Ogin has shown with loads of different spellings...Orgine, Orgin, Chorgan, Orgen, Hoggin etc etc It's been quite hard to go back in time, but I think the family came from Berdichev in the Ukraine..poss originally from Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Greece, Morocco etc etc

Comment

Can't see anything obvious, apart from a couple of streets named after Captain García de Holguín in Spain, and a town named after him in Cuba.

You can look for yourself on Google Maps

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            Can't see anything obvious, apart from a couple of streets named after Captain García de Holguín in Spain, and a town named after him in Cuba.

You can look for yourself on Google Maps
            Hi - thanks Mary. Yes, I've looked at google maps...but I don't know Spain that well and thought the town might ring bells to someone....maybe it's a really small village....or the person who told me about it has got his spelling confused. I'll read up on Captain Garcia de Holguin.

Comment

That's Elaine in Spain's stamping ground, so perhaps she'll be along to help.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                That's Elaine in Spain's stamping ground, so perhaps she'll be along to help.
                Thanks Uncle John.

Comment

Working...
                X