Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mining accident at Medomsley Colliery 1882

Hi all
    I'm trying to find the final resting place of my GGGranddad. His name is Emmerson JACKSON born about 1843. He died on 7th November 1882 in a mining accident at Medomsley Colliery. He was living at Bradley Cottages at the time of his death.
    I have been in contact with various agencies including Durham Mining Museum and no one seems to be able to help. Is it possible that because the accident was under ground they may well of left him there if it was to dangerous to recover his body? He was killed by "fall of stone" .
    I would be grateful for any help Martin.

hello martin

if it were me I would get the death cert and then work in a radius finding the cemeteries in that area.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie

I have his Death Cert and have a list of burials from the church that he and some of his children were married at but no luck. I have also tried the NBI but no luck there either and I am running out of Ideas.

Martin

Comment

Martin,
        as you have his exact death date, have you tried looking at newspaper reports of the accident &/or burial. You may be lucky, & there may be an article in the local paper.
        ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

I had a look in the newspaper archive and it was reported on the 9th in the Northern Echo and on the 10th in the Newcastle Courant, the only other info was the Busty pit was closed on the Wednesday.

Comment

If the "fall of stone" was impossible to clear without risking a further collapse, that part of the mine may have been abandoned and the bodies not recovered.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Southwick View Post
              I had a look in the newspaper archive and it was reported on the 9th in the Northern Echo and on the 10th in the Newcastle Courant, the only other info was the Busty pit was closed on the Wednesday.
              Hi Southwick

I have a copy of a short paragraph that appeared in the Durham County Advertiser on the 10th, not much info just that he died by fall of stone.
              Would it be possible for you to give me the info that you have found in the newspaper archive or how to get it myself. Your help will be very greatfully received.

Cheers Martin
              :xmas_biggrin:

Comment

The access is through the library system, here in Hampshire you go to 'hantsweb' then 'Arts, Libraries, and Heritage' then 'reference library online' then 'newspapers and magazines' and you need your library number to log in to either the Times archives or local papers. I searched forward for a year from the date you gave for your names, places, deaths and could find no futher mention.

The only other thing of interest is the 'Durham miner' site has a mapping system where you can go back in time and see Bradley cottages, and they have a record of your ancestors accident as a roof collapse, it appears he was the only fatality I would assume the main was closed for a day to clear the passage.

Comment

Having had a look around I would try St Ives, Leadgate as the local church or there is a RC church there as well, and Blackhill cemetery which is the largest around and a lot of info with this link below, appears their is upwards of 55 Jacksons there.

Gravetext-Genealogy, Burial Records, Monumental Inscriptions, Burial Registers, Consett, Blackhill, Shotley Bridge

Comment

You could also see if the Mining Institute in Newcastle has any info on the accident. They do have extensive archives, but no all catalogued yet.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                    X