Help reading fruit grower's full occupation please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading fruit grower's full occupation please

In 1861 at Igtham, Kent, William J Crisp (mistranscribed as Criss) was a "?????? fruit grower employing 1 man on 3 acres" can anyone help me out with the first word please?

or if you have Ancestry
    - Ancestry.co.uk

It looks like Hole.....maybe meaning wholesale fruit grower?
    Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 12-12-09, 18:40.

Comment

Ah, hadn't thought of that Gwyn, thanks.

In 1871 he thinks he's a retired grocer but his wife who is at their daughters says she's a hop grower's wife so it looks like he dabbled in whatever crop would make a little money.

Comment

First letter is definitely and H - see the House Servant a few lines down, and various Heads of households. But Hole makes no sense in the context.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Could it be Hop (or Hops) & Fruit Grower ?
          Sarah

Comment

oooh Sarah I think you've cracked it, there's a very tall upstroke on the p and the descender is hidden by the word "man" below, Thankyou:xmas_laugh:

Comment

It looks like pole? to me - hops grow up poles??

Comment

The boys round where I live used to disappear from the local school in Victorian (1864) times to get hop poles ready by peeling them, they called it "flawing" though I think Uncle John is right about the first word starting with an (elaborate) H as there are a number of other examples on the page.
                Last edited by Jill on the A272; 12-12-09, 20:23. Reason: "flawing" is the term in the school logbook

Comment

I go with Hop. The p is how I was taught to do "real writing" as a child. like an n with ascender and descender.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X