Data imput

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data imput

Hi I am fairly new to this forum and have just started my family tree using FTM .

My problem is i have a family member who split up from his wife

They had two boy's one retained the family name and the other took his mothers maiden name, who then went on to produce two girls.

The first son is no problem as he retains the family name.

The second son with his two daughter have a different name ;but are still part of the family tree.

My question is how do you represent this data in the family tree?

regards
    Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

I would put the people in with the surname they were born with and then make a note about the names they have now. Or you could put the current name in brackets after the first name and then a note explaining why. I have all my females with their birth name and then their married name in brackets.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Which version of FTM are you using please?

is it the 2009 version or an earlier one?

oh and greetings, from a sunny North Notts
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
        I would put the people in with the surname they were born with and then make a note about the names they have now. Or you could put the current name in brackets after the first name and then a note explaining why. I have all my females with their birth name and then their married name in brackets.
        Thanks for your response, that sounds logical to me

I think Name born with (?) with an explanation is the way to go

Thanks for that

Regards
        Regards Roy

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          Which version of FTM are you using please?

is it the 2009 version or an earlier one?

oh and greetings, from a sunny North Notts
          Hi darkscretz I have just purchased the 2010 platinum version trying to get my head round it at present.

Regards
          Regards Roy

Comment

ohhh I havent seen that Ray... I have 2005 & 2009 though as 09 is vastly different to 05, I presume that it is more like 2009.

I have been thinking about your query, what I would do if it were me would be to enter in the info as though they were married with the two boys, then the one that later changes his name and produces his own children to add the information into the 'notes' you can also add an AKA or other name that a person was known by,

it is difficult because I cannot see what you can when you have your FTM open, (re layout etc..) so I can only give you general advice about it, I know that within 2005 there is a part for AKA's within the individual person notes,

but it is slightly different within 2009, as you have so go into 'customise veiw' an manually select 'Also Known As' from the list to add it to the person.

I hope I havent confused you too much Ray...

also ALL females I enter are entered in their MN, that way there should be no confusion later on.. (if you dont know the females last name just add the first name then \\) you can always enter it when you find it later
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-12-09, 12:08.
            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              ohhh I havent seen that Ray... I have 2005 & 2009 though as 09 is vastly different to 05, I presume that it is more like 2009.

I have been thinking about your query, what I would do if it were me would be to enter in the info as though they were married with the two boys, then the one that later changes his name and produces his own children to add the information into the 'notes' you can also add an AKA or other name that a person was known by,

it is difficult because I cannot see what you can when you have your FTM open, (re layout etc..) so I can only give you general advice about it, I know that within 2005 there is a part for AKA's within the individual person notes,

but it is slightly different within 2009, as you have so go into 'customise veiw' an manually select 'Also Known As' from the list to add it to the person.

I hope I havent confused you too much Ray...

also ALL females I enter are entered in their MN, that way there should be no confusion later on.. (if you dont know the females last name just add the first name then \\) you can always enter it when you find it later
              Currently all females are as you say with MN, just had another look customise gives lots of options including AKA where you can add ;but still need an explanation in the notes. Think this software is going to take some time to understand. We all got to start somewhere i guess thanks for your feedback Julie

Regards
              Regards Roy

Comment

Thats right Ray, it takes a while to get your head around it sometimes,...

the jury is still out on FTM 2009 with me, i'm not sure if I like it or not.. so keep reverting back to 2005!!
                Julie

Comment

Working...
                X