No announcement yet.

Help with Thomas Sanderson 1838 Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Thomas Sanderson 1838 Please.

Hi, I have been researching my Family for about 2 years now and most of the time I have been trying to find Ancestors of my G.Grandfather, Thomas Sanderson. I have found a Baptism on 19.4.1838 at St Helens. Kelloe. Co. Durham with a single mother Elizabeth Sanderson but I can find nothing further on them. I am 99.9% certain this is the correct one as in the 1901 census Thomas is down as born in Kelloe.
    In the 1841 census I can find a few Elizabeth's living in Kelloe, some have a Thomas aged 3 but also with fathers Jacob or Joseph for him.
    There appear to be quite a few Sanderson in and around Kelloe at this time, Does anyone have any information on them please. or the parents of Elizabeth
    Thanks. Jazz:xmas_confused:

Hello and welcome to FTF!

just to get the ball rolling I will put up the census refs and details so we can see what we are working with and how best to proceed.

- Ancestry.co.uk

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2617; Folio: 95; Page: 52.

- Ancestry.co.uk

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 2154; Folio 119; Page 11; GSU roll: 6097264.

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 2702; Folio: 83; Page: 7; GSU roll: 1341647

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 2834; Folio: 132; Page: 9; GSU roll: 836374
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-12-09, 20:58.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Do you have his marriage certificate to Mary at all? or any of the childrens birth certs? to prove who he married and see if any fathers/witness' names are given
      Julie

Comment

This looks a possible birth for him as Kelloe comes under Easington -

Births Mar 1838
        SANDERSON Thomas Easington 24 90
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

This is the only birth that fits in Flintshire for Thomas and Mary's son Robert. This would identify which Mary he married and so hopefully find the marriage.

Births Dec 1867
          Sanderson Robert Holywell 11b 273

Comment

yea that does look likely Chrissie, though to find him in census pre 1871 would be good, I know that Jazz said that mum was Elizabeth, but unless they have the certs how do they know for sure?

just need to wait for them to come back and give us some answers :smilee:
            Julie

Comment

I couldnt see a marriage though
              Julie

Comment

Julie is right of course but I couldn't resist this -

This is only a wild guess you understand and you will need certs to check.
                In 1891 Mary says she was born in Shiney Row. Shiney Row comes under Houghton Le Spring. Of all the marriages around the right time and a likely area for Thomas Sanderson to a Mary, the only one I can find with a matching Mary born in Houghton Le Spring about the right time is this one. I hasten to add that you do need a childs birth cert first though.

Marriages Jun 1866
                GRAHAM Mary Newcastle T. 10b 266
                Sanderson Thomas Newcastle upon Tyne 10b 266

Births Dec 1847
                GRAHAM Mary Houghton le Sp 24 173

Sorry - off to look for sensible things now.
                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 12-12-09, 11:31.

Comment

On the other hand - in 1841 the most likely Thomas Sanderson for the birth I found is living in Haswell in Easington and has a father Henry (an Engine man) and mother Mary.

Comment

I hope Jazz comes back soon. On reflection there are so many Thomas Sandersons in Durham I think we need guidance on what she has already.
                    Sorry Julie - this needs an expert - when she comes back I shall watch and learn :xmas_embarrassed:

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      I hope Jazz comes back soon. On reflection there are so many Thomas Sandersons in Durham I think we need guidance on what she has already.
                      Sorry Julie - this needs an expert - when she comes back I shall watch and learn :xmas_embarrassed:
                      i'm sitting here laughing at you !! *looks around for expert*

oh you have bought a smile to me face!.. I know what you mean though, it is SO tempting to say well its this or that... but like we have said it is pure guesswork until we know what info Jazz has..

and with the name of Thomas Sanderson this is moreso.. :xmas_wink:
                      Julie

Comment

LOL I still think that's probably his birth :xmas_laugh:

Comment

Thomas Sanderson

Hi all. So sorry for being off line for so long,
                          Thanks for all your replys,
                          Thomas Sanderson married Mary Young in 1864 at Chesterfield, I have the marriage certificate, both witnesses were "Youngs" so can only assume they were related to Mary. Yes she was born in Shiney Row I have no problem with her parents but there was nothing for Thomas on the Certificate.
                          As I said I have found a Baptism in Kelloe 19th April 1838 with a single mother Elizabeth Sanderson.
                          The census results you have put on here are correct and I can trace him from the marriage to 1901 census so no problem there. His daughter Margaret was my Nan so I know I have the right Thomas and Mary.
                          All I would like to do is trace his ancestors all be it on his mothers side.
                          Thanks and will await your reply.
                          Jazz.:xmas_frown::xmas_frown:

Comment

Thomas Sanderson

Hi again.
                            Sorry forgot, The birth you mentioned at Easington is not the right one. I bought the certificate 24.90 and although the parents were George and Elizabeth Sanderson I have been in touch with someone else searching this Thomas and it is not the correct one. Oh dear back to square one.:xmas_confused:

Comment

hello Jazz

As I said I have found a Baptism in Kelloe 19th April 1838 with a single mother Elizabeth Sanderson.
                              have you found this elizabeth on the 1841 census? at all?

oh and when you say you have the cert
                              The birth you mentioned at Easington is not the right one. I bought the certificate 24.90 and although the parents were George and Elizabeth Sanderson
                              whats 24.90 please?
                              Julie

Comment

Thomas Sanderson

Hi 24.90 is the registration number you have to quote to buy it.

Comment

Thomas Sanderson

Hi again. Mary Young wasnt born until about 1844 I could not find her in the 1851 census but think I found her in the 1861 at Bishopswearmouth but not 100% sure.:xmas_smile: Sorry just reread your comment, you were asking about Elizabeth not Mary. Must be having several senior moments. There seem to be several Elizabeths in 1841 so not sure which one it is although I have found an Elizabeth living with a Jacob and Ann Sanderson in Kelloe but it appears that Jacob has a son Thomas born about the right time as mine and I wondered if they could possibly be taking him on as their own and that Elizeabeth is Jacobs sister? As I dont know where Elizabeth was born or even a year of birth for her I am getting quite confused. Perhaps I should say mor confused than normal.
                                  Last edited by Jazz; 13-12-09, 22:37. Reason: Misread the comment by Dark Secretz

Comment

what I meant was do you have Elizabeth Sanderson on any census at all? do you know how old she was when she had Thomas or where she came from? :xmas_biggrin::xmas_biggrin::xmas_sign:
                                    Julie

Comment

Thomas Sanderson

Just answered your question, I dont know anything about her at all. sorry

Comment

ahh thats ok, I have looked and also found a few possibles..

where did you find the baptism of Thomas please? ( I know you said st Helens, but I mean did you find it on the IGI or some other source)
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X