Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA 10th December 2009 is.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of WDWTYA 10th December 2009 is.....

notanotherminer

Well done i hope you get some brick walls knocked down.
    Jen

The Osmans

A big thankyou for this opportunity.
    I've thought long and hard as I have a few obstacles but I thought I'd come in with my most recent.

Here goes. This is my wife's line from her maternal grandmother.

I'll start from her gt grandfather.
    Francis William OSMAN b. 1864 in Freemantle, Hampshire
    His father:
    Henry OSMAN b. 1835 in Redbridge, Hampshire- BUTCHER
    His father:
    John OSMAN B, ABT. 1801 in Eling, Hampshire (1861census has P.O.B. Netley Marsh) - GROCER (also CATTLE DEALER AND BAKER in 1861)

I cannot find Henry in 1861 census nor any trace after 1891
    Nor can I find his brothers:
    John b. 1827 Hampshire
    Charles b. 1830 Hampshire
    George b. 1831 Hampshire
    James b. 1837 Redbridge
    James was with parents in 1851 and then he too disappears.
    Here's hoping :xmas_smile::xmas_embarrassed:

Comment

There is a Henry Osman b 1834 Southampton Blacksmith visiting an address "Woodlands Eling". Head is Charles Bayner and his wife Charlotte.
      Servant Matilda Osman b 1829 Bredgford Nottingham.

RG09 Piece 672 Folio 61 Page 13

This is from FMP

Eling, Redbridge and Netley are all close to Southampton

Sorry - I see that is another Osman family member who are Smiths
      Last edited by Trina; 12-12-09, 14:14. Reason: add apology!

Comment

I think George is a lodger in Southampton in 1851 - a boiler maker's apprentice. Do you have that?
        HQ107 1669 129 52

If they have disappeared there is a good chance they may have gone to sea as they are in Southampton. Will take a look at passenger lists.

Comment

I looked at the census for George and Matilda. Matilda's birthplace on the original is fairly illegible. I googled Bredgford and it came up with Bridgford in Notts. but that only confuses me more as I haven't yet come up with any connmections to the family outside Hampshire.
          I had found your George previosly and did wonder but then his disappearance threw me.
          FMP are supposed to have ships at home and sea but I don't know if they're all transcribed

Comment

In 1901 there is a Henry Osman widower in the work house in Southampton. Date of birth not right though.

Comment

I've just had a quick look, but I think the Henry Osman blacksmith with wife Matilda is a different person from your Henry, butcher with wife Sarah.

Comment

Unfortunately FMP records start a bit too late. From what I can see there is another Osman family in Netley that are Blacksmiths. They have some similar names and could be relatives from earlier on. Tends to confuse things though!
                I think Osman is Matilda's married name - there is no record of a Matilda Osman born Notts that I could find.

Comment

Yes, it's a shame her POB can't be read properly. Although it is possible a transition from blacksmith to butcher would seem unusual. As he was a grocer's apprentice in 1851, probably in his father's business, butcher would seem more likely.

Comment

It looks like Sarah died in 1st Quarter of 1884 registered South Stoneham. Full name Sarah Susannah. That would make Henry a widower for the 1891 onwards.

Comment

Where exactly have you already found the brothers? Have they wives or occupations?

Comment

There is a death for a James Osman registered to South Stoneham 3rd Quarter 1860. There is also one for Southampton in 1851.

Comment

I think Henry died just before the 1901 census - there is a death registered for a Henry Osman born 1835 registered to South Stoneham 1st Quarter 1901. You would need to get the certificate to be sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by notanotherminer View Post
                            Yes, it's a shame her POB can't be read properly. Although it is possible a transition from blacksmith to butcher would seem unusual. As he was a grocer's apprentice in 1851, probably in his father's business, butcher would seem more likely.
                            from looking at the BMD index and other snippits

there is a death in 1909 for a Matilda MASON Osman I think that this is the one from Nottm. (no marriages in nottm for Osman/and first name of matilda) on my discs either.

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Looks like William A Osman died 2nd Quarter of 1911 - registers to Southampton estimated birth 1867.
                              That means he should be on the 1901 census, but I can't find him. Maybe the death of his father meant a big upheavel and he was missed off.

Comment

I have found your Francis Osman in 1911 with wife Annie in 9, Somerset Road Southampton. Have you got this? PM me if you would like more details.

Looks like the road - possibly the house - is still there
                                Last edited by Trina; 12-12-09, 16:13. Reason: Googling!

Comment

It's OK. I had a death for him in 1901 which I've just doublechecked.
                                  S. Stoneham 1901, Mar. qtr, aged 66. It fits his YOB but shows he died before census.
                                  I feel a fool for not picking up on that before.
                                  Still leaves his brothers though

It seems the family remained in the South Stoneham district for many years judging from the marriage indeces.

Comment

Yes thanks. I've got their 1911. They're Sue's gt grandparents. Her grandmother Annie's birth certificate shows she was born Winchester Street, Botley on 7 May 1888. Curiosly, in both the 1891 and 1901 she is living with her grandparents William and Elizabeth Miller. I've not found her at all with her parents

Comment

We were in Southampton only a week ago. If we'd known the house was still there we could have visited. C'est la vie!!

Comment

I missed your post about his brothers Trina. I.ve only got them in the 1841 census living with their father.
                                        I found a death for Charles Osman S. Stoneham 1914 aged 80. It doesn't quite match his age in 1841 but if it is him I can't find him in the following censuses

Comment

Working...
                                        X