• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another try Can anybody find this Marriage please

Still trying to find this Marriage
    Agnes Webb born 1884 in Walthamstowe Essex to a
    John Rose or known as John Guttentag born 1868 in Mile End Middlesex

in 1911 says married 8 years
    John is a College Clerical Cap Maker, Agnes is his assistant.

Children
    Thomas 1905 born Seven Kings Essex
    Charles 1906 Ilford Essex
    Rudolph 1908 Hackney
    Josephine Beatrice 1909 Hackney

have the Birth Cert of Rudolph 22/2/1908 9 Ashland Grove Amhurst Road Hackney

Agnes is with her parents in 1901 says occupation Dressmaker
    Edward 52 born Old Ford Cabinet Carver
    Clara 49 born Old Ford

Any ideas at all Please
    Last edited by Guest; 10-12-09, 18:25.

Hi Val,
    Have you tried WebMartin for EssexBMDs?

Comment

hi and thanks Alan whos he ???

Comment

Here's the link, Val.
        WebMartin BMD - Search For Your Essex Ancestors
        Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine have paid, what happens now do I get an email with the results ??? if any

Comment

Sorry Val, no idea .. have never used it!
            Elaine

Comment

:xmas_no:oh hope I did it right then if not its cost me £6 for nothing LOL

Comment

Have you thought that they may not have married,or married later?I searched for the marriage of a relative who I thought married about 1895,only to find the marriage in 1927!
                Fran

Comment

Hi Fran and thanks ,I did think of that but as he was Jewish I would be surprised if they married later as his brothers all married twice once in a Synagogue and once in a Church before they had children , but you could be right of course

Comment

Val, my great grandfather was Jewish. He and GGM had their first child in 1894 and the last in 1900. 1911 census says thery had been married for 20 years.

They actually got married in 1903 :Big Grin:
                    Jackie

Comment

Val

Was Agnes Jewish? If not, they may never have married, if his family were strict observers of their religion.

If Agnes wasn't Jewish and did not convert, then they couldn't marry in synagogue anyway.

OC

Comment

thanks Jackie why couldnt the do the decent thing LOL
                        OC I really dont know ??? dont think so you could be right, blast.
                        I'd love to find out which Colleges he supplied with the caps ????

Comment

Val

although it doesn't help your search, Jewish people do not have the same views about marriage as Christians.

I am sure you already know that Jewish people can have a "secret" marriage, which requires only that they make certain vows to each other.

This need not be recorded anywhere in order for it to be a valid marriage in the eyes of the Jewish faith, although of course, Jewish religious leaders always stress that the civil laws of the country should be observed as well as the sacred laws.

OC

Comment

Hi - there's a good chance that he wasn't named John.....and you might find him with a very traditional Jewish name. Do you have the names of his brothers? Do you know which synagogues they married in first time round? There was also a bit of an age gap with John and Agnes - do you think this was his 2nd 'marriage'?

Saying that, OC is quite right, one of my ggp's did that, it's called stille chuppah, and it drove me nuts trying to find civil marriage records which didn't exist! By the same token, I don't think Agnes would have been allowed to do this if she wasn't a convert. I've also come across similar situations as Jackie..and have found quite a few Jewish births registered well before the marriage was recorded.
                            Last edited by naomiatt; 11-12-09, 06:29.

Comment

thanks again OC seems so strange to me that they would live together in those days dont know why ????
                              Thanks Naomiatt I do have his Birth Cert in which he is named John Guttentag but the whole family called themselves Rose, in fact he is the only one with a English name all his siblings have Hebrew names at Birth ??
                              I also have them both on different census records in 1901 so they weren't married either of them?

Comment

Working...
                              X