Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a challenge - William Whitefoot

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find information on what happened to my 3rd Great Grandfather, William Whitefoot.

He was born in about 1834, at Lydbury North in Shropshire. In 1853, he married Rebecca Pugh (certificate on it's way). Together they had at least 4 children, George (b. 1853), Mary (b. 1855), William (b. 1858), and Lewis (b. 1860).

On the 1861 census, Rebecca is living at Wistanstow, Shropshire, with her 4 children. I cannot find William on the 1861 census.

Rebecca dies in 1870, at the Workhouse in Bishop's Castle. On the 1871 census, Mary is a domestic servant living in Bishop's Castle, and William Jnr & Lewis are still in the workhouse. Still no sign of William Snr!

I have looked on the GRO, but these does not seem to be any William Whitefoot's in the death index that could be my William. I am wondering if perhaps he went abroad? There is an entry on the 1880 US census, that has a William Whitefoot, born about 1832 in England, living in Colorado, but I have nothing that suggest's he is the same William.

Could any one point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Does she say whether she is married or widowed in the 1861 census?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hello Tippin

I have found your William on the 1880 USA census.

he is living with two other males and doesnt have an occupation stated, it only states that he is married. this is the ref:

Year: 1880; Census Place: Leadville, Lake, Colorado; Roll T9_91; Family History Film: 1254091; Page: 366.4000; Enumeration District: 78; Image: 0334.

You would probably find this info on www.familysearch.org I will have a look for further details.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
        Does she say whether she is married or widowed in the 1861 census?
        Hi JBee. Rebecca says she is married on the 1861 census. It also says she is the wife of --- Whitefoot, a General Labourer on her death certificate. It seems strange that the workhouse does not know her husband's first name!

Originally posted by Darksecretz
        You would probably find this info on FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records I will have a look for further details.
        Hi Darksecretz. I had forgotten that familysearch had the 1880 us census. I searched the name on ancestry, but as I only have a subscription for the UK database's, I was not able to have a look.

I have had a look, but it does not tell me much. It says that he is married, but i guess that he may not know that Rebecca has died, or he may have remarred. I wonder why it does not state is occupation.
        Families Intrested in
        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Julie's sighting in Colorado suggests he was involved in mining. Here's what Wikipedia says:

Leadville, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Tippin,

sorry I had visitors, I have looked for passenger lists but I cannot see anything with his name on it. Maybe he was a stowaway?
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Darksecretz, thanks for having a look for me. Knowing my family, he proberbly would have been a stowaway! It's just a shame that I can not prove it for certain.

Hi Uncle John, thanks for the link. It would be great if it was him - Leadville sound like a real wild west town at the time that William Whitefoot was living there. I just have to prove it is him first!

And sorry for taking so long to reply - I have been playing around with the new Family Tree Maker since I got it on Friday!

Thanks again,
              Tippin
              Families Intrested in

Comment

There is a William Whitefoot christened 12 Aug 1832 Lydbury North Shrophsire. Parents Richard Whitefoot and Jane Evans - source extracted record igi Is this any help?

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                X