The Gold Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gold Rush

Uncle Albert (pictured on the left)'s grandfather Daniel Penny is said to have left his Grandmother and disappeared off to America during the Gold Rush. I think this is another family story like the one about land in France, but where would I check?
    Di

HI

Not too sure I can offer anything but do you have any dates for Daniel Penny to see if we can tie him down somewhere?
    WendyP

Comment

Hi - this might be useful - gives years for the different Gold Rush's that took place in the
      U.S (as well as other countries);
      Gold rush - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

He was born in 1824 and his last child was born in 1856.
        Di

Comment

Assuming he left after 1856, that site seems to point to B.C, Colorado, Northern Nevada and Idaho. Do you have any other family that went to the U.S that he may have caught up with?

Comment

The Cariboo in British Columbia would have been the most likely destination for an Englishman going to seek his fortune in the gold fields around 1860.
            Going on that premise, I did a little searching and found a Daniel Penny living
            in Victoria BC in 1881---age 52, b. England, rel. C of E., working as coachman
            to Lady Douglas (widow of the late Governor of the BC Colony)
            This Daniel Penny is married, wife Mary, 52, b. England.
            Next, I found a marriage in the Victoria Daily Standard:
            Oct 23, 1871 Daniel Penny of Southampton, England married Mrs. Mary Beatty
            of Liverpool, England. (places of origin look suspiciously like the ports from which they sailed)

It's quite possible that failing to make his fortune in the Cariboo, Daniel went
            to Victoria, found himself a good job and stayed. Many of the gold miners stayed on after the gold ran out. Coachman to Lady Douglas may have been a very cushy job.

Whether or not this is your man, is of course another question. Age is off by about 5 years, but that's not unusual for a census. Had your Daniel's wife in England died by before Oct.1871? Of course, that may not matter.

I think the best way to proceed, would be to search earlier English censuses to see if your Daniel Penny has any namesakes, born within a few years of his birth date, then if there are any, follow them to see if any of them disappear.

If you do decide that the Victoria coachman is your Daniel, I may be able to
            offer you some further help. I actually live in Victoria and could do some searching in the archives or perhaps find his grave. Send me a private message, if you decide to take me up on the offer.

Victoria
            Last edited by Victoria; 10-12-09, 07:27. Reason: typo

Comment

Can't see Daniel in the 1871 census and he was born in a suburb of Southampton.
              Di

Comment

Louisa his wife is on her own in the 1861 census.
                Di

Comment

Working...
                X