What have I uncovered now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have I uncovered now?

I may have stumbled across something that is not very pleasant.

My family married into the Mammatt family of Ashby De La Zouch, and I have done a lot of research into this family.

I have now discovered three ladies all who died on the 10th November 1940 and are registered on the CWWG website as "Civilian War Dead".

One of the ladies was 69, her niece was 40 and her great niece was 11.

All the CWWG website tells me is that they were from Rhyl, Peter Avenue and this is where they died, presumably in an air raid.

I will have to send for at least one of the death certificates, but does anyone have any thoughts or tips as to how I might find out more?

Thanks.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Are these your ladies, Tom?

The Times, Wednesday, Nov 13, 1940; pg. 1; Issue 48772; col A
    Deaths

Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, yes that is them, although the girl was called Phyllis M, so I presume Mary was her middle name.

Thank you for finding that, it is incredibly sad; I wonder if I will ever find out exactly what happened.

Is a requiem a Catholic thing? I know it is a mass for the deceased. I will have to try and find out if they were buried in a cemetery or churchyard.

Thanks again Elaine.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Tom

Three nights of air raids in Rhyl, November 1940, heavy casualties. This was bound to be reported in the local rag.

I have googled and there is a lot to read, although I didn't find anything specific - you may have more patience than me, lol.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. I can't seem to find anything on google though - everything keeps taking me back to Rhyl in Wales.

What key words are you using?

Comment

Tom

I used

"air raid, rhyl, 1940" which brought up a lot, some of it not relevant of course, but I only skimmed most of the hits....

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, am off to have a look

Comment

Possibly a "stray" bomb - CWGC has two other casualties that night who lived (and died) in Peter Avenue, Oxted - Helena Mary and Arthur James Brice - the adult children (31 and 35) of Arthur William and Helena Blanche Brice - their house was named "Egdon"

If you are really interested Surrey Archives in Woking appear to have the local Police Incident books from the period -

Surrey County Council - Archives Index search results

Cheers
                Sue

Comment

Oh, Tom!!! I'm sooooo sorry, what a complete IDIOT I am!!!

I completely missed the OXted bit and thought we were in Rhyl!

(But how odd that google brought up three nights of bombing in Rhyl for November 1940....)

OC

Comment

Possibly aiming in the direction of the shipyards at Birkenhead.
                    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

As I understand it they died in Rhyl, but were buried in Oxted?
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My OH has something similar in his family, Tom. Daughter popped out and returned to find a bomb had fallen on the house, killing parents, brothers and sisters.

They are commemorated on the local war memorial, and are on the CWG site. Also they are listed in local history books dealing with WW2. I suspect your ladies would be too.

Comment

Nell

No, the way I am now reading it is that they died at a house called "Rhyl" which was situated in Oxted!

OC

Comment

I agree with OC - that´s the way I was reading it as well.
                            Elaine

Comment

I found a photo of the Oxted War Memorial by googling and you can just make out the name Mammatt under civilian casualties (near the bottom).
                              :D Carolyn

Comment

Oh, got it now!

I used to live nearish to Oxted. I was just thinking its not far from Biggin Hill, which was an important airbase in the war and possibly the intended target?
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

oxted "nov 1940" "enemy action"
                                  Cheers
                                  Guy
                                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks everyone who has posted on here - I completely forgot about it.

I will look into it some more.

Comment

Working...
                                    X