Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me read an old pedigree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me read an old pedigree?

I don't know the ettiquette of posting it here - it's an old pedigree freely available on the web (from the 1660's for Derbyshire). Can I just copy and post here, or should I link to the site?

Kate x

hello Kate

a link to that site would be best I think, that way you are only providing that direct link so not breaching any T&C's

:smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Righty-ho, here we are:

Full text of "The visitation of Derbyshire, taken in 1662, and reviewed in 1663"

The name and pedigree I'm interested in is the Degge name, about three quarters of the way down the document. It starts with Hugh Degge "R. 2. Hugh Degge of Stramshall." and ends with "Symon Boughey Degge."

It seems to be a relatively straightforward male lineage pedigree, but I don't know what the (presumably latin) abbreviations stand for, and how all the individuals link together precisely.

Grateful for any help!

Kate x

Comment

I dont know Kate, tbh we have this wiki page which has some latin on it

Latin Names - Family Tree Forum

I guess you know that if you click on the title of the book you can download the whole lot as a pdf book? and then search for the degge name, brings up a nice basic tree.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

You'll also find some links for Latin translations/dictionaries on the following wiki page - Translations - Family Tree Forum

There is also a link on there for one of our members who has offered to help with Latin translations. If you click on his name you can send him a PM (personal message).
          Elaine

Comment

Ooh I didn't realise that Elaine thank you! And on a side note, I think I owe you a very old thank you too. I think you helped out a lady many many months ago who was looking for some Tunnicliffs for me on Genes Reunited, her name was Hillary, and she mentioned an 'Elaine on familytreeforum' who finally found them mistranscribed as Ford (?!). So, a belated thank you - and it's what led me to register with the site here too!

Comment

I think I've got it - it's the year of the relevant monarch's reign. For example William Degge 3 H 4 ob 10 H 6 is William born in the 3rd year of Henry IV's reign, died 10th year of Henry VI's reign. I think that's roughly born 1402 and died 1432.

Have also found another similar pedigree from same source: Le Neve's pedigrees of the knights made by King Charles II., King James II., King William III. and Queen Mary, King William alone, and Queen Anne

Comment

Working...
              X