Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't groan.

I have a John Brown question.

I am trying to trace John Brown and Sarah Ireland son John Brown.....born abt 1847 in Milton Under Wynchwood Oxfordshire.

His father was sent out to Tasmania as a convict and on his journey here his wife Sarah died.

John Brown (John and Sarah's son) was brought up by Sarah's parents Joesph and Mary Ireland

I have found JOhn Brown on the 1851 census.....Class: HO107; Piece: 1732; Folio: 42; Page: 36; GSU roll: 193643.

and again on the 1861 census......Class: RG9; Piece: 910; Folio: 28; Page: 1; GSU roll: 542720.

But I can't tell which John Brown he is after that.....could someone kindly have a look for me and tell me which one he is on the following censuses.

Thanks Ruth

There's a John Brown b 1847 Milton Under Wychwood in 1881 with wife Eliza (age 33 b Burford, Oxon). John is an ag lab.

RG 11, piece 1519, folio 48, page 2

- Ancestry.co.uk
    Jackie

Comment

The most likely one I can see on 1871 is a prisoner in New Road County Gaol Oxford.

John Brown marr. aged 24 labourer b Milton.

RG10, piece 1438, folio 114, page 60

- Ancestry.co.uk
      Jackie

Comment

They both were the ones that I thought were the most likely.....but I can't find them in 1891...nor a likely death for him.

Comment

No I can't find them either after 1881. I think Eliza is Eliza Cook

She is here with her parents in 1871

- Ancestry.co.uk

Just to confuse matters though there is another John Brown (gardener) b 1847 in Milton or Gt Milton on various censuses. He is married to a Sarah A b 1848 Forest Hill Oxfordshire.

- Ancestry.co.uk

I wonder whether the John Brown in prison left the country or ended up getting deported
          Jackie

Comment

That is the exact reason I got confused....some say Milton....Greater Milton.

The John Brown I have asked about in theis thread.....his father also was JOhn Brown and he was born in Forest Hill.

Comment

I was hoping someone else could take a little look for me before I fall off the front page.

Comment

Working...
              X