Godparents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godparents

My Godmother b. 1936 is wondering about her Godparents .She would have been baptised at St. Chad New Moston Manchester ,the records are not transcribed ,but would the Godparents be on record?Records are now in Central Library I believe-not easily accessible from Cyprus ,but will have a go ,if the Godparents are named when I'm over next -anyone can help?

I've never seen Godparents named in Church of England records, but then I have never looked at anything more modern than about 1900, so they may well be after that date!

I do have a feeling that Godparents are only named on a baptismal cert. I could be wrong!

OC

Comment

Only once have I seen godparents named in Church of England records.
      This was for a church on Romney Marsh, Kent and was I think for 1980s or 1990s.
      This was on fiche in Folkestone library.

Comment

Thanks Olde Crone---just now need to work out how to get baptism certfciate x

Comment

The certificate itself will have been a one-off certificate filled in by the vicar/rector and handed to the parents. The only permanent record apart from that will be the entry in the baptismal register. It is/was the custom in some churches to have a baptismal roll framed and hung up somewhere in the church building, but that's very much a local decision.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If you let me have the details I will have a look at the record next time I am in town
            PAT

Comment

I have a few baptism certs - none of them list grandparents, just the child, its parents, date of baptism.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Going by the PR for my village church, it's a fairly recent practice to record godparents in the bp register. Possibly 1950's onwards?

The issuing of baptism certificates was not mandatory - depended upon the views of the vicar.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Like Janet our local church registers have only had a space for godparents in relatively recent times, and even then at leat one vicar in the 1950s didn't fill in that column. My own entry in the register only names my parents (and the vicar got my dad's name wrong!) although my baptism certificate written at the same time by the same vicar does name my godparents.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I was recently shown my daughter's baptism entry in the book. It did have her godparents - it was in 1976.

Anne

Comment

My baptism Cert, 1944, doesn't have Godparents named. I have no idea who mine were & my sister, 11yrs older than me, can't remember.
                      I was hoping that at some time I could find out from the church.:F:(
                      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

My mother told me I was christened, but I have no idea where. My parents were non-religious and I was only baptised at the insistence of a great-aunt.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It is possible the church baptism records might give you the godparent's names.

My Grandad's christening in a C of E church gives his godparents (He was christened in 1929).

I also have it on a relative's baptism from about 1845 in a C of E London Church.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Some years ago I went on behalf of a family to a C of E church to find their christening info. Unfortunately no godparents had been entered in the parish records and one of the children doesn't appear to have been christened at all (much to her annoyance - she's married to the son of a clergyman!!).

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks everyone--godparents names would be a great help if they were listed --most people chose close family/neighbours/workmates--ah well,another pencilled name on the back of certificates /photos tip!

Comment

Working...
                              X