Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone find Arthur Fletcher's widow and children, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find Arthur Fletcher's widow and children, please?

In 1871 (hopefully, even though it says Alfred), Arthur and Emma are at 6 Desart Street, Bromley-by-Bow with their children Amos H age 3 (registered Amos Henry 1868) and Sarah Ann age 1, both born in Deptford. His wife was born Emma Twelves in 1845 in Hull, Yorkshire.

Arthur Fletcher and Emma Twelves had married in 1865 at St Paul's, Deptford.

These are the burial details at Brockley Cemetery for Arthur :
    5 February 1872 Grave no. P693. Age 26, son of Amos Fletcher, bricklayer. Address of person who arranged burial - Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford - this is the address for Arthur's mother and stepfather, Mary and John Dyball, in 1861, 1871 and in 1881, and where Arthur had lived in 1861 with them.
    Joy

she might have remarried?

there is a marriage in 1877 june in MEOT
    possible spouses

Alfred Beere or John Wilson

maybe try and match them up?

(from Freebmd)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you, Julie. Yes, have now tried them but they are not there.

What is MEOT, please?
      Joy

Comment

sorry Joy..

Mile End Old Town

:smilee::smilee:
        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          sorry Joy..

Mile End Old Town

:smilee::smilee:

Thank you :smilee:
          Joy

Comment

I am pleased to see a baptism in the IGI for Amos :-)

Amos Henry Fletcher
            born 29th February 1868
            baptised 15th August 1869 St Paul, Deptford

Sometimes I forget to look at the IGI.

Here is a photo - I hope, if it works - of the inside of the church.
            Attached Files
            Joy

Comment

That 1877 marriage is on the LMA records on Ancestry. Emma Fletcher married Alfred Beere. Emma was a spinster, father John Fletcher, blacksmith.
              Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                That 1877 marriage is on the LMA records on Ancestry. Emma Fletcher married Alfred Beere. Emma was a spinster, father John Fletcher, blacksmith.

Thank you.
                Joy

Comment

I have found Amos in Ireland in 1911 -

Still searching .......... :smilee:
                  Joy

Comment

Joy - Amos's bap. is also in the LMA records on Ancestry. The home address is 54 Shere Road.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                      Joy - Amos's bap. is also in the LMA records on Ancestry. The home address is 54 Shere Road.

Thank you. :smilee:
                      We didn't renew our ancestry subscription; does it give his father Arthur's occupation, please?
                      Joy

Comment

I think it says Plater. Does that make sense?

Comment

Yes, thank you. :smilee:
                          In 1871, Arthur was a plater. I should have said that before.

I wonder if Amos's mother and sister went to Ireland. :smilee: BRB
                          Joy

Comment

I wonder if Arthur died young, messing around with all the noxious chemicals in his plating tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                              I wonder if Arthur died young, messing around with all the noxious chemicals in his plating tank.

Yes, I think that I may have to spend some money on him to find out. His brother William died just a few weeks before him but, unfortunately, although I have his burial record, his death does not seem to have been registered.
                              Grave no. P693. Age 29, son of Amos Fletcher, bricklayer. Address of person who arranged burial - Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford.

Amos died in 1933 in Dublin, and his wife four years later.

Still no sign of Arthur's widow and daughter.
                              Joy

Comment

I cant see them Joy, I even looked for possible deaths..
                                Julie

Comment

had you tried looking for a marriage for sarah ann?
                                  Julie

Comment

Thank you for looking for them, Julie.

Yes, I have tried searching marriages and deaths for both the widow and the daughter. I shall look again in Ireland, just in case. It was very helpful of Amos to put such a full place of birth in the Irish 1911 census :smilee:
                                    Joy

Comment

oh yes definately Joy... which begs the question...why?? why was he there?
                                      Julie

Comment

Why indeed!:smilee:

I had wondered if he and his mother and sister had gone to Australia; someone in the family might have done, I think.

Then I remembered that there is in the family (first cousin once removed to Amos, so the family tree programme tells me) an Ann Sadd who was in Dublin for a while (her parents are George and Fanny Sadd, they being brother and sister-in-law of Amos's grandmother Mary Dyball). I have no idea why she went to Dublin.
                                        I had found Ann in the 1901 census as Annie Groves, widow, age 40, b Little Glemham, with her daughter Eva F. Groves, age 6, b Dublin, Ireland, with her parents George and Fanny Sadd, in Street, Little Glemham. I found a marriage for her to Joseph John Groves in 1891 in Dublin South registration district; there is a possible death registration for him in Dublin in 1900, though age 62, considerably older than Ann. Eva Fanny Groves' birth registration is in 1894, again Dublin South registration district. In Suffolk, Eva married Stanley Easter in 1930, second marriage for him.

So, after remembering that, I wondered if any of Arthur's family had gone there. Maybe Ann had gone to Dublin with Amos, or vice versa, or one followed the other; there again, maybe they both fancied travelling; and goodness what a journey they would have had in those times!

There again ............. :conf: :smilee:
                                        Joy

Comment

Working...
                                        X