Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

address search on 1911 what do I do wrong ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• address search on 1911 what do I do wrong ?

i have yet to find an address on 1911 I must be doing something wrong, any suggestions thanks

Don't put down the property number just enter the address in its simple form and don't fill in anything else. If you get timed out or too many matches then narrow it down by adding County.

If all else fails post the address and let others have a look for you.
    WendyP

Comment

In case you want to help here, please don't offer to do look ups on the 1911 Census as it is against their Terms and Conditions.

If you don't receive their emails you should read this:

Last edited by Caroline; 07-12-09, 07:31.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I imagine there's nothing to stop anyone helping with searches on the free section of the site. I think it's possible to search by address on both 1911 and findmypast sites without registering.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

hi and thanks I do all that just put a street name then if it times out a county but still zilch must be doing something wrong ?

Comment

Hi
            What are you putting in the first or surname boxes?
            Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie nothing as I go to the address search not person search .

Comment

As an example, I wanted Ashchurch Road in Tewkesbury, Glos. On 1911 I just entered "ashchurch road" for the street, and selected Gloucestershire as the county, and the listing appeared. If there were too many hits, searching "High Street" for example, I would have tried adding the town. It seems to work OK for me, on both sites (1911 and fmp).

scuda
                Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

I thought you were only supposed to put the road name not the road bit ??? for example "Ashchurch"
                  maybe it is me then thanks shall try again

Comment

I thought you were only supposed to put the road name not the road bit ??? for example "Ashchurch"
                    I know what you mean, I remember reading that in the past, but I've found it gives too many results. For example I've just tried with "Ashchurch", but it gives me everywhere with Ashchurch in the address. I usually include road, street, etc, but remove it if it's not working or giving too many results. It's a matter of trial and error, really.

scuda

Comment

Are you looking for Cambridge Circus, by any chance? If it's in Bethnal Green it comes up immediately I search, but number 24 doesn't seem to be listed.

Sorry if I'm incorrectly linking this to another of your posts.

scuda

Comment

Well, I got those Cambridge Circus results easily on 1911, I've just tried on findmypast and it doesn't like it at all - very odd. I've found that searching is quicker and easier on 1911 than fmp. Very often fmp will time out, but 1911 comes up with the results very quickly. Different search engines I suppose.

scuda

Comment

Cambridge Circus come up on fmp on an address search of 1901 - and number 24 is there. I just entered Cambridge Circus and nothing else.

scuda

Comment

I have been trying to do it on FMP too maybe thats the problem ??? thanks very much Scuda off to try it

Comment

well well thanks Scuda I was not putting the road or street in just its name have found them all now thanks again

Comment

Glad you've sorted it out now.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                                X