Oh, Im so annoyed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, Im so annoyed

My disc of 400 years worth of apprenticeship bindings for lightermen/watermen wont work! Its not the puter because I put on a different disc and that was ok.

What stops a disc working please? I cant see anything wrong with it and it cost £30 so I dont want to rush off and get another if I dont need to:conf:

Does it need cleaning? Sometimes that makes a difference.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Ive given it a good wipe Wendy. I cant see any bad marks on it at all.

When I put it on I can see the puter is trying to read it and there are a few clicking noises but nothing. It used to make a sort of roaring noise when it loaded before.

Comment

If it made a roaring noise previously it is probably a bad disk.
        Some disks if they are unbalanced cause the CD to make that sound.

I would check there are no fingerprints on the disk.
        If there are wash carefully under a warm tap with a little soap on your finger
        Shake dry.

Rather than purchase a new disk when not contact the supplier and ask for a replacement many will oblige.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks guy.

Comment

Is the disk compatable with windows' did they send you a Mac version by mistake?
            Rob

https://handmadebooksbyrob.wixsite.com/website/
            https://www.facebook.com/handmadebooks.byrob.7
            searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Comment

rob, Ive had the disc for several years now. It was from dockland ancestors, only a small concern so I wouldnt ask for a replacement when its probably down to age of the disc - Ive got several cds on watermen/lightermen. Hadnt used this one for a while but just found another line of lightermen in my tree and thought Id check them out on the disc. I have used it say 6 months ago when it was fine on this puter. I guess Ill have to buy a new one.

Thanks for everyones help.

Comment

Does it work on another computer? I had one which would work perfectly on one computer but not at all on the other. If it works on another you might be able to make a copy? I'm sure someone will say that's illegal though :emb:

Anne

Comment

What operating system are you using? You may need to run it a compatibility mode for your current windows OS.
                  Rob

searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Comment

VISTA rob, but I have had it work on here before.

Dont know Anne, Ill wait til son comes up at Christmas with his laptop which he always has with him

Comment

Stupid question but are you sure your CD drive is still working?
                      Rob

Comment

Try another PC first but if still not working have you tried a local game store ? Some do CD polishing to remove scratches.

I have done it myself with soft tissue and Brasso and then washing.

Last resort stuff but it can work.

Bob
                        I am never wrong. I once thought I was wrong but I was wrong.

Comment

Hi rob, yes its working on my other cds.

Chip, I cant see any scratches on it, thats the maddening thing. It was fine last time I used it :(

Comment

Look on the label side. This is actually where the data "pits" are, just under the surface and quite thin. Any damage here and it's probably terminal . The plain side is fairly thick by comparison and can take a lot of polishing.

So when handling CD's take care of both sides. Not widely known.

On a general note it's a good idea to make copies when new and save the "masters". You could also make "ISO"s of them and store to a hard drive.

The horse is running round the field of course;)

Don't worry about legalities unless you re-distributing them.

Bob
                            I am never wrong. I once thought I was wrong but I was wrong.

Comment

Not sure if your problem has been resolved ;but you could try a cd repair
                              CD repair tool - Recovery Toolbox for CD
                              hope the link works

regards
                              Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Working...
                              X