Would she have had him baptised???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would she have had him baptised???

I have a lady whos husband died in 1892 and have been told she had another child about 1896 cannot find a second marriage and wondered if she had all her children by her husband baptised would she have had this child baptised too ?? either if she had remarried or not ???
    As I am trying to find her or him or both on 1901 and 1911 but not really sure what I'm looking for other than I have found a baptism about the right time with the right Mothers name but the Father seems to be married to somebody else ?
    Thanks

Val

It's quite difficult to make a ruling on this, lol. By 1896 the pressure was off, more or less - you could choose whether or not to have your children baptised, so it was up to the individual whether they did or not.

On the other hand, old habits die hard and many people by that time would still believe that you went straight to hell if you died unbaptised, so would have their children baptised no matter what the circumstances.

Sorry, this hasn't helped at all has it.

OC

Comment

Val - if its a different father are you sure its the same mother?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks OC thats what I wondered
        Thanks for looking Nell, no I'm not sure its the right Mother or the right Son, all I know is she had him about 1896 according to a letter from Dr Barnados but that does not mention a Fathers name , am at the moment going through the War Pension records hoping to find him might be a worthless search but you never know .

Comment

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules like OC said really. Depends I suppose what they could do or get away with without being gossiped about I suppose.

My Great Great Grandmother Caroline had a child, her last child that I know of when she was 35 her husband had been dead for 3 years the father was her late husband's cousin who was 10 years younger than Caroline.

Caroline had the baby girl baptised and both her christian name and the baby girl's father's name are on the baptism but her late husband's name is the surname, so on the LDS and also the baptisms on Ancestry says little Mary Ann Kirby Kendall which is what she was baptised and also registered as seems to be the daughter of Caroline and James Kendall when in fact James' surname was Kirby.

However Mary's birth certificate has nothing in the father's name column. John Kendall was my Great Great Grandfather and died when he was 30 in 1848 Mary was born in February 1851 and sadly died in 1852 and is buried with John Kendall!

Comment

thanks Maggie been trawling the pension records hoping he is listed and gives his mothers address lots more to look at

Comment

Working...
            X