Clara Pettitte help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clara Pettitte help

Hi with previous help from Elaine I have manged to find out that the mother of my great grandmother Isabella Ward was a Clara Pettitte. Elaine as advised that the best course of action would be to try to find Clara's marriage certificate which would in turn provide me with her fathers name. This could then help to find her on earlier census returns and perhaps try to locate her birth. I received this today.

Clara married Charles Ward on 18/12/1892 and was aged 22. Her full name was Clara Lillian Pettitte and her father is listed as John Pettitte (occupation foreman).

I did find Clara on the 1901 census (age 31) married to Charles with children Elizabeth (age 7), Isabella (my great grandmother age 6), Charley (age 5) and Rose age 4). Her place of birth was given as Bow in London and they were living in West Ham. I could not locate her on the 1881 census but did manage to find Charles before my ancestry membership ran out.

Can anyone help me to find out more about Clara?. The name Pettitte seems foreign but that may just be my ignorance coming from Scotland!!!

Many thanks

Steven

A possible ??

1871 --- Mile End Rd ,Govey Place

RG10 Piece 565 Folio 131 Page 33

PETTIT, Jonathan Head M 29 1842 Middlesex
    PETTIT, Sarah Wife F 29 1842 Middlesex
    PETTIT, Frederick Son M 9 1862 Middlesex
    PETTIT, William Son M 5 1866
    PETTIT, Peter Son M 3 1868
    PETTIT, Clara Daughter F 1 1870

Comment

In 1881
      Sarah Pettit 41 b. Limehouse Charwoman
      Clara 12 b Mile End Old Town
      Edward 9 b. Mile End Old Town
      Harriet 1 b. Limehouse
      living 15 Copperfield Rd London
      Last edited by Jac; 06-12-09, 03:11.

Comment

Hi - few options for the origin of the surname, inc French (petit means little, small etc)

SurnameDB: Pettit surname meaning

Looked in the London Gazette, and it mentions Pettite from 1813....
        Pettit from 1868.....Edinburgh Gazette has the surnames as well
        Last edited by naomiatt; 06-12-09, 04:22.

Comment

HI

Baptism for the above Clara PETTITT shows her birth as being 8/9/1869 baptised on 29/9/1869

parents names tally John - labourer and Sarah

address at time looks like Regent Street

Place of Baptism Mile End Old Town, Holy Trinity, Tower Hamlets
          WendyP

Comment

Thanks for the information, will look into it all.

Steven

Comment

Wendy by any chance do you have page and volume numbers so that I could look to order certificate on GRO. That would give me Clara's mothers maiden name.

Many thanks

Steven

Comment

Hi Steven

Since the info I gave was from a Baptism they dont give Vol and page but here I think is the matching birth entry in the GRO indexes.

Mile End Dec 1869 Vol 1c Page 563

Clara Pettit
                WendyP

Comment

Thanks Wendy I think I will order it from GRO as it will give me Clara'a mother maiden name.

Steven

Comment

Hi Steven

I did find a possible marriage on Freebmd for a John Pettit and a Sarah Ann Goodens 1862 and found a matching certifcate on the new London indexes this is the transcribed info from it.

John Pettit age 22 occ Porter father John same Occ and deceased

Sarah Ann Goodens 21 no occ father William Goodens Occ Basket Maker

Witness noted as a William Goodens and an Elizabeth Goodens

Address both of them married from 22 Kingland Road

The service took place in St James Church Shoreditch on 4/5/1862

I'll now go see if I can find either of them in the early censu to tie this info to being the parents of Clara. I can see no other John and Sarah in the later '71 census to match what has been found for already so we could be on to a winner here.
                    WendyP

Comment

I think even though I found the above marriage I would still obtain the birth cert of Clara. The above marriage is only a possible.

I say this cos I've also found a Jonathon and Sarah in the 1861 stating that they're married but they could be living over the brush so to speak.
                      WendyP

Comment

Thanks Wendy I think it is best to order the certificate as there seems to be two options for Clara's father - John and Jonathan.

Looking at the census information some of the members have given me again it seems to conflict each other. I struggled to find her on the 1891 census. The name on the marriage certificate of her father is given as John so the details you gave me would suggest that John is correct.

Thanks again

Steven

Comment

Wendy do you think the reason we can't find Clara on the 1891 census is that she may have left home and therefore not with her parents? If she was born in 1869 she would be around 21 as on her marriage certificate in Dec 1892 she is listed as age 22.

Going by her mothers name as Sarah it looks like the 1881 census is correct although her father is not listed on it but in 1871 the name is Jonathan so that one might not be correct.

In 1892 Clara's address is given as 22 Railway Cottages, West Ham in Essex if that helps at all. I have her in 1901 census with her husband Charles again living in West Ham (78 Sandal Street) so likes like she pretty much stays in the same area.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

Comment

Steven I would't discount he 1871 census because it says Johnthan rather than John. I have a cousin who was always known as Johnathan but was in fact registered as John. I have no idea why.

Comment

Jon / John / Jonathan / Jonathon / Johnathan / ...

And then you start on Sean / Juan / Euan / Ian / Johan(nes) / Jean ...

I think you'll find that they're all variants of the same name.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thats settled it I will get Clara's birth certificate which will give me her fathers full name and mothers maiden name. Will order from GRO tonight thanks for everyone's help.

Re the censuses the name Pettitt appears to me to be rarer than some and therefore might just have to take the censuses I have at face value. Does anyone have access to the actual extracts its great to have them and usually end up copying them for my file which is growing larger by the week!

Thanks again

Steven

Comment

Hi received the birth certificate for Clara today. Her date of birth is as Wendy had thought 8th September 1969 at 40 Wentworth Road, Mile End Old Town, Middlesex.

Her parents are listed as John Pettit (occupation Dock labourer) and Sarah Poole so looks like marriage noted in earlier part of post is not the one after all. The spelling is a bit different to Pettitt.

The 1881 census looks good with place of birth listed as Mile End for Clara although not sure about 1871 as father is listed as Jonathan.

I suppose next best course would be to try to find marriage of John and Sarah and also to see if Clara is listed on 1891 census. I have her on the 1901 census married to Charles Ward. On the 1871 census she should be about 1 or 2 years old.

If anyone could help that would be great.

Steven

Comment

Marriages Dec 1860
                                    Hill John Robert Mile End 1c 992
                                    Pettit Jonathan Mile End 1c 992
                                    Poole Sarah Mile End 1c 992
                                    Stradling Rebecca Mile End 1c 992

Comment

The full cert is included among the new LMA records:

Marriage by banns at St. Thomas, Stepney, 21 October 1860.

Jonathan Pettit (mistranscribed as Johathan), minor with consent, bachelor, labourer, residence Stepney, father Jonathan Pettit, carpenter

Sarah Poole, minor with consent, spinster, no occupation, residence Stepney, father William Poole, horse dealer.

Witnesses: William and Jane Hunmings? (Hemmings? Hummings?)

All made their mark apart from Jonathan, who signed his name.

Comment

1861 census:

Jonathan Pettit, 20, labourer, born Stepney, head
                                        Sarah Pettit, 20, -, born Stepney, wife

Address: 6 Alfred Terrace, Stepney

Comment

Working...
                                        X