Help needed to read this cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to read this cert

Can anyone read the info from this death cert?

Thanks for looking,
    Attached Files

Gentleman - Debility - George Iles Saddler Inmate Norfolk Street
    Elaine

Comment

I agree.
      Fran

Comment

thank you - what is a saddler inmate?

Comment

is he in a institution of some sort

Comment

I think, that although his occupation was "gentleman" his trade was saddler and is now in an institution in Norfolk Street.
            There is a comma after saddler.

I would have googled for Institution in Norfolk Street, but did not know the town.

Good luck.
            jood sadly died in November 2019.

Comment

No, it is George Iles who is a saddler and the informant of the death. The "gentleman" is someone else, surely, the person who has died.

Inmate just means that George Iles was a resident at the Norfolk Street address. Probably the workhouse, or maybe a hostel, depending on the date of the cert, but can also mean someone other than a householder, who lived at a given address, not necessarily an institution.

OC

Comment

My apologies OC

Comment

jood

Gosh, apologies not required, lol!!!

OC

Comment

*smile* thanks.

Comment

Thank you - it will be Norflok Street in Bristol, will see if there any workhouse type places recorded.

Seems odd to be shown as a Gentleman - as he would be from a long line of Labourers.

Comment

How old was he, Oliver? Maybe it was George Iles way of saying that he no longer worked!
                        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Originally posted by oliveriles View Post
                          Thank you - it will be Norflok Street in Bristol, will see if there any workhouse type places recorded.

Seems odd to be shown as a Gentleman - as he would be from a long line of Labourers.

Oliver

George wasnt a 'gentleman' on the cert that is, that was the occupation of the deceased.. George was 'just' the informant of the death. (and he gives his occupation as a saddler, doesnt he?)
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I've got several 'gentlemen' on my tree. Basically it seems to have been a description of a man no longer working (retired) but still having enough money to support themselves. NOT rich!

Julie - I took Oliver to mean the nameless deceased person was from a long line of labourers.

Anne

Comment

yes sorry for not making it clear.
                              Robert Iles was the gentleman who is now deceased - in this 60's.

George Iles was the informant.

So I think George was a Saddler by trade - inmate was to describe his residence - but it is a little odd to describe it as such.

And Robert was as you say 'a man no longer working (retired) but still having enough money to support themselves'

Comment

I dont think its odd at all Oliver...

when people are informants on a death cert they have to give their address, if he was out of employ for some reason he might have been in a workhouse or something, so his address would show this, (ie inmate) :smilee:

I have some instances where some of my family employed people (they were Framework Knitters) they state as being 'inmates' which probably meant they lodged at the house where they worked.

maybe there was a workhouse in the town where the death occurred?
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I fact, I think "inmate" is one of the official qualifications in order to be an informant on a death cert.

The others are various relatives, (self explanatory), householders (the head of a household) and inmate - someone who lived somewhere, but was not a householder, lol.

However in this case as both deceased and informant have the same surname, there was probably some sort of relationship, but not a close enough one to qualify as son, nephew etc.

Did Robert die at the same address?

OC

Comment

Yes, both show the same address

Comment

Well, Bristol workhouse doesn't appear to be anywhere near Norfolk St, so it must have been some other kind of accommodation - you will have to trawl the census to see what was in Norfolk St at the time.

Also, in the 1860s, they were still putting "Workhouse" on death certs. That didn't stop until the early 1900s (I think!).

OC

Comment

Working...
                                      X