Can anyone help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help

I am trying to trace my great grandfather through the census on Ancestry.co.uk. I wasn't expecting to have a hard job as the surname isn't very common but I cant find him.

He was born in 1894 so should appear on the 1901 census in Gloucestershire but doesn't. My wife did a little bit of digging around on a few other sites and found that he does appear on the census but she could only get his name and no other details without paying which she didn't want too as we have membership to ancestry.

Is there anyone who are members of say Find My Past or GenesReunited that could possibly look the record up for me.

His name was Frederick Tillion born in Gloucestershire 1894/5 and would have been living in the village of Staverton I believe. As Ancestry do not have the 1911 census the 1901 will hopefully un lock that family for me.

Any help would be great

Thanks

In 1901, living with his mother Mary and brothers Walter (b 1888) and James (b 1891) in Staverton. On Ancestry under Lillion. Hope that helps

Comment

1891 they're living in Cheltenham under the name on Ancestry as Tollin !, father Thomas (b 1841), mother Mary, sisters Harriet (b 1882) and Ellen (b 1884), Walter and James.

Think you might have problems with the accuracy of this family's name !

Comment

Fred's mother was not the same as the other children. Harriet, Ellen and Walter's mother was Sarah Nunney (Thomas married Sarah in 1879, she died in 1889). James and Fred's mother was called Mary - no idea as to surname because I cannot find a marriage - sorry.

Comment

I think you must have seen the 1911 info with the correct spelling - they seem to have a pickle with Mary though - and her birth is 1800-1911 with age not known.
          There is a Thomas Tillian marrying in Cheltenham, June quarter, 1889....not sure which bride would be accurate, one is a Mary Merrick...If the same Sarah, her death was reg in March quarter, 1889 -
          Deaths Mar 1889
          Tillion Sarah 46 Cheltenham 6a 294
          - so maybe it's the right Thomas.
          These are the options for the Thomas Tillian marriage;
          Marriages Jun 1889
          ADAMS George Cheltenham 6a 811
          GEE Brightric Gofton H Cheltenham 6a 811
          McIlquham Harriett Cheltenham 6a 811
          McLlynham Harriett Cheltenham 6a 811
          Merrick Mary Cheltenham 6a 811
          Tillian Thomas Cheltenham 6a 811
          Last edited by naomiatt; 05-12-09, 02:21.

Comment

great bit of detective work there girls.. well done!!

Brian,

you can also add corrections to any ancestry name that has been mistranscribed, (your name will be logged against it, so anyone else that is a possibly relation can make contact with you)
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

WOW thank you champagnegal & Darksecretz thats amazing I have spent ages trying too look and didnt even consider that the name may have been spelt wrong. I had figured that his mother might have been called Mary as my grandmother's middle name was Mary so thats confirmed that for me thank you both.

I will make the changes on Ancestry now.

Comment

Brian,

I would also go down the route of purchasing certificates too to help prove your findings and make sure that you are not chasing a wrong line, (which IS very easy to do esp if you are relying on census information alone)
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                X