Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of WDWTYA 3rd December is

Champagnegal

Well done i hope you manage to break down some brick walls.
    Jen

Thank you so much, think I've got a good one.

My great great grandad is called John Williamson Petty. He was born circa 1836 (give or take a year or 2) I have tracked him back to when he got married to my great great grandmother Hannah Beaumont in October 1860 in Leeds. On his marriage certificate it states his father was Thomas Petty, an auctioneers clerk. John Petty and the Beaumont family lived in Leeds according to the marriage certificate. I cannot find him before this. There is a Thomas Petty and family, including a John Petty, right age group, but it is not this family. This John Petty was born in York and is a coach proprietor and cab driver in censuses after 1861, my John Williamson Petty was born in Leeds (according to the censuses from 1861 to 1891) and is a worker in a flax mill. Thomas Petty in this family is a stone mason.

If anybody can trace him in 1851 and 1841 that would be good. Also, John Williamson Petty died in 1912 in Leeds. I cannot find him on the 1901 or 1911 census, if anybody could find him in either of these censuses that would be fantastic !!

Once again, thanks for picking me

Comment

Are you saying your Thomas Petty is a stone mason? If so I have him in Browns Yard in 1841

Was Thomas alive at time of John's wedding? Do you have siblings for John?
      Last edited by Jac; 05-12-09, 06:56.

Comment

No, and no. The Thomas Petty who is the stone mason is not John Williamsons father. I have traced that family back to, as you say, Browns yard in1841 and in 1851 in Browns Court. This is not my family. The John who is this family is a coach proprietor and cab driver, MY John Williamson Petty is a worker in a flax mill. Many thanks for looking for me

Comment

who were the witness' on the marriage cert please?

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 3383; Folio: 39; Page: 12; GSU roll: 543123.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1861&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4554; Folio: 148; Page: 6; GSU roll: 847137.

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4519; Folio: 104; Page: 15;GSU roll: 1342085.

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 3692; Folio 111; Page 13; GSU roll: 6098802.

MISTRANS AS BETTY
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 08-12-09, 10:13.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Well I've been looking and found all dark secret has found and the wrong family who is a stone mason but nothing else so far. I've done a search on the 1911 census and there is one possible for john and did the same search for Hannah and they both come up with same details
            HOUSEHOLD PETTY HANNAH F 1841 70 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)
            HOUSEHOLD PETTY JOHN M 1837 74 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)

Could be them.
            GWEN

Comment

This may be them in 1891 under Betty instead of Petty the kids seem to fit Ma E is prob Mary elizabeth and Anna G is prob Annie Gertrude. John's Occupation is Card Fettler Wool. See what you think if you look at the original return it does read Petty

John W Betty 53
              Hannah Betty 50
              May E Betty 14
              Anna G Betty 11

Class: RG12; Piece: 3692; Folio 111; Page 13
              GWEN

Comment

snap Gwen...

though I cannot see them at all on the 1901 census, I have to go out shortly, but will look in again later this afternoon.
                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                  who were the witness' on the marriage cert please?
                  Their witnesses were William Wood and Ann Sykes, as far as I know, no relation to them whatsoever.

I have the censuses upto 1891, thank you for looking. Hannah Petty died in 1895 (have death certificate - he was informant) , Mary Elizabeth married in 1894 and she is with her husband Edmund Hall and her first child Lottie in 1901. I have checked the rest of JW's living children (5 - he and Hannah had 11) and he isn't with any of them. I have found Annie Gertrude in 1901 but she is in the Leeds Union Infirmary (Classed as an imbecile), John Williamson is nowhere to be found.

As for 1911 (I know he died in 1912), I don't think that's him in Hull, JW didn't have a son called John Robert (If he remarried however after Hannah's death could be her child), this couple were born in Hull and JW was born in Leeds. I know he died in Leeds Workhouse in May 1912 (and there's a grave to prove it !!) - informant was from the workhouse.

I am flummoxed - thanks Julie and Gwen for looking, it's great getting something solid down so I can look at all the facts and try and work out what he is up to. Any further help would be most welcome

Comment

it is possible he was in the workhouse in leeds in 1901,

I presume you have checked to see if there are any admission books still around?

he might have been enumerated with his initals if he was an inmate.
                    Julie

Comment

Working...
                    X