Sunderland Local History Centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunderland Local History Centre

Am going there on Monday if anyone wants me to look anything up.

Last time I went just found what I want when my time on the reader was up. So fingers crossed this time.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Please, me, me, Miss!!

I've got a birth that got missed off the GRO index. Sunderland Register Office have it on their list of "when we can get round to it" searches through their birth registers.

What I've got is:

Alfred Joseph MITCHELL born Bishopwearmouth 1874. Parents John Edwin Mitchell and Fanny Sherratt Mitchell nee Brown.

IGI records his baptism on 21 May 1874 at St. Mary's RC Chapel, Bishopwearmouth. The expected date of birth is 26 April 1874. The family lived at High Street, Bishopwearmouth.

He died aged 6 in 1880 (I have the certificate which has the correct father's name) and a younger brother was given the same name. The RO have located the births of his earlier and later siblings, which are also in the GRO index.

It would be fantastic if you could find the birth, but please don't ruin your eyesight looking.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Where do you want me to look?

St Mary's baptisms or somewhere else?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I have a conundrum you could help with if St Mary's registers are in the family history centre.
        The problem is my gggf, he appears in the census records as John Hoy (Hoey) with Jane Garrett and they are together pre 1837 when their fist son John was born. On May 27th 1842 they were married at St Mary's as Patrick Hoey and again as Patrick on my ggf Owens birth certificate, the name changed firmly to Hoey about this time. I would be happy if you could just tell me if the records are there. They were from around Monkwearmouth and Southwick.
        Last edited by Southwick; 05-12-09, 12:14. Reason: sent early in error

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
          Where do you want me to look?

St Mary's baptisms or somewhere else?
          Bishopwearmouth birth registers if they have them, please. Someone else already found the baptism for me, thank you.

Comment

Hi JBee

If you have time can you have a look in the Sunderland Echo for

Francis Davison died 25th August 1856, according to his death certificate he died following an accident in the saw mill.

Thanks
            Jay

Comment

Southwick

The baptisms for St Marys for c 1837/8 were transcripts when I looked sometime ago - not sure if they have originals - will see tomorrow.

Uncle John

Do you want me to obtain a copy of the birth certificate if the RO can find it?

JayG

Hopefully I'll be able to find something.

Comment

Uncle John

Do you want me to obtain a copy of the birth certificate if the RO can find it?

JayG

Hopefully I'll be able to find something.
                Simply finding enough info. for me to point the Register Office in the right direction would be wonderful. They were balking at having to trawl ten registers. A transcript would be the icing on the cake.

Comment

Sorry UJ - no birth records in the local history centre - have a print out of the baptismal. The Registrars are in the process of putting the info online and even though it doesn't say the births for 1871 - 1880 are there. There's a Herbert in 1874 and brother Alfred in 1880.

Sunderland City Council

Jay G - couldn't see anything about the accident in 2 local Sunderland newspapers - Sunderland Herald and another one - not the Echo I didn't see a film for them -the newspapers are hard to read on the film so I might have missed something but the staff checked their indexes and said there was nothing about a sawmill accident - unfortunately accidents happened far too often to make the news. There might have been a report several weeks later if there was an inquest but wasn't able to check. I checked the obits but nothing there. Newspaper seemed very like the old Times Newspaper and nothing like the Sun.

Southwick - have a print of the marriage and the baptismal of a John - will send them tomorrow night when I get back if you pm me your email.

Comment

Sorry UJ - no birth records in the local history centre - have a print out of the baptismal. The Registrars are in the process of putting the info online and even though it doesn't say the births for 1871 - 1880 are there. There's a Herbert in 1874 and brother Alfred in 1880.

Sunderland City Council
                    Thank you very much for looking. I wonder about Herbert. I've sent a message to the Registrar to see if he's the right person. It's feasible that spidery writing could be misinterpreted.

EDIT: very quick reponse from the Registrar (I did pose the question some weeks ago) to say that Herbert's details don't match. They have found no record for Alfred Joseph between 1872 and 1876, so it's a complete mystery where he was born.

And would it be possible to email me a copy of the baptism record, please?
                    Last edited by Uncle John; 08-12-09, 16:58.

Comment

Thanks for checking JBee.
                      Jay

Comment

Sorry I wasn't able to find anything.

One paper was printed on the day he died so checked the following 2 weeks (weekly paper) but it probably wasn't newsworthy a week later. There didn't seem to be a lot of local news in the papers to be honest.

Comment

Southwick

Have emailed you the marriage and baptism.

Comment

Hi JBee, It hasn't arrived yet, I will let you know when it does.

Comment

Sent them again - hope they get through this time.

Comment

All received, I think on the marriage cert the John has almost been obliterated but still discernable. Thank you once again for your efforts.

Comment

A public thankyou to JBee for sending me the bap. register entry for my Alfred. The parents and witnesses all matched so all I can think is that his birth was never registered. Puzzling, because everyone else in the family was registered.

Comment

Uncle John. Was John Edwin married previously, seems to be one name but marriage crops up twice?

Comment

UJ - There's an Albert Mitchell born in South Shields registered in Sept qtr - maybe they registered him late there. Often baptisms were more important to folk than officially registering.

Also a couple in Scotland but not with Joseph as a middle name.

Comment

Originally posted by Southwick View Post
                                        Uncle John. Was John Edwin married previously, seems to be one name but marriage crops up twice?
                                        Yes. As a child bride/groom in June 1867 to Mary Proud. He was 18 and she was 16. She died 6 months later. I have the certs.

UJ - There's an Albert Mitchell born in South Shields registered in Sept qtr - maybe they registered him late there. Often baptisms were more important to folk than officially registering.

Also a couple in Scotland but not with Joseph as a middle name.
                                        In 1874 he was being pursued for bankruptcy so he could have been "out of town" for a time. But Mary Emma, the next child who was born in 1875, was registered and baptised in Sunderland. The others were all registered but possibly not baptised (at least, there's no record in the IGI transcription).

As it happens the family "emigrated" to Scotland but not until after the birth of the last child in 1887.

Comment

Working...
                                        X