Air raid Sep 1940, Allum Green, Hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air raid Sep 1940, Allum Green, Hants

Trying to find family and/or friends of 3 soldiers killed in this raid with my father, Stanley Henry AVON. They are Harry Stanley TYLER, born Worcester 1898, married to Florence STAPLES 1920; Alfred William BLUNN born Bromsgrove 1912, married to Margaret F. BARLOW 1940; Edgar William Ernest GIFFORD born Frome 1910, married to Kathleen NASH 1936 in Trowbridge, son John E. GIFFORD. Their deaths are commemorated by a memorial bench in the New Forest and, as next year is the 70th anniversary, the son of one of the survivors and myself would like to contact anyone with an interest in
    the Blunn, Gifford and Tyler families.

Firstly, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

I am moving your thread over to our Research Qs and As forum which is more suitable in this case. Our Research Requests forum is for help in a specific location, e.g. cemetery/archive lookup.

It might be worth looking through our GEDCOM database to see if any other members are researching the same names. To access the database click on GEDCOM on the blue navigation bar.

We also have a Surname Directory in our Wiki (Reference Library) which might be worth checking as well. Click on The Wiki on the blue navbar and select Wiki main page. Scroll down the page and you will see a link to the Surname Directory.

Good luck.
    Elaine

Comment

Welcome to FTF.

I think that's a very special idea - I wish you every success. Sorry I can't help directly.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I belong to a group that might be able to help.

Not sure if I can add the site here (admin ?)
        Malc

OPC for Coleford, Somerset

Comment

I can't see a problem Malc. Send me a pm if you are concerned.
          Elaine

Comment

You will need to join the group, it is for people reseaching names and places in the Frome hundred.
            I have seen the names of Gifford and Nash being reseached in the past.

Frome : Family and social history in Frome, Somerset, and the villages in its Hundred

If you don't want to join the group, I will be happy to paste your request to the group for you.
            Malc

Comment

Thanks to Elaine, Christine and Malc. Don't have my own computer and use the library one about once a week, so I'm very inexperienced at this sort of thing. Please be patient while I try to get used to it!

I'd be very grateful if you could paste my message to the group, Malc. I'll be happy to join once I've worked out the process, as my father's family originates in the Frome/Berkley/Nunney area and I'm sure it will be helpful; I'm already finding fromeresearch.org very useful.

Thhanks again, everyone.

avon

Comment

Hi Avon, if you follow this link and look at the blogs, you will have a good start.

Allum Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Message posted, just have to wait now.

What names are you reseaching in the Frome area?
                  Malc

Comment

Thanks Malc. As well as looking for Edgar Gifford's and Kathleen Nash's families, I'm looking for my own family names - Avon, Heath, French and Webley. Non-family names that are of interest are Hoddinott and - wait for it - Smith. I've found a few of each on fromeresearch, and am trying to fit them into the right places.

Comment

Thanks Southwick. The Wikipedia info was taken from a blog by my co-investigator, who is the son of one of the air raid survivors. It was his father who campaigned for the memorial seat. He's visited all the graves, including my father's, and the RAOC memorial at Deepcut Barracks, and found the unit's war diary for their time in France before their return from Dunkirk. We have quite a lot of information, but seem to have hit a brick wall with the families of my dad's comrades.

Comment

Working...
                      X