X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61/71 census

:kool:
    Hi I am trying to find Lucy Barrington ( Carrington ) bc 1809 in Stockport
    Cheshire,on the 61/71 cencus she has been found on the 41 51 81 cencus but as Carrington,
    I know this is her because she has heer niece with her( Emma Hardman ) maybe
    now she is now down as Barrington !
    Hope some kind person can help.

Thanks
    Boxer

Hope this is the 1861 census

Class: RG9; Piece: 2571; Folio: 100; Page: 1;

1871 census

Class: RG10; Piece: 3665; Folio: 148; Page: 3

Cheers Sue

Comment

Thanks for that Sue,but I am not on Ancestry now and I cant see it, sorry I did not explain myself too well.

Comment

She's CARRINGTON (72) in 1881
        RG11; Piece: 3474; Folio: 6; Page: 6

She's CARRINGTON in those 1861 (age 52) and 1871 (age 62) images.

Noting that (1861) nephew, Edward (31), has CARRINGTON as a middle name.

In 1851 she's CARRINGTON (41):
        HO107; Piece: 2157; Folio: 395; Page: 3

In 1841, she's CARRINGTON (30+), but Emma (15+) is BARRINGTON in the image (quite clearly).

I can't see her as BARRINGTON anywhere?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Is it likely that, somewhere along the line, someone has read the curly/loopy ends at the top and bottom of an upper-case script C as being the loops of a B?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a likely-looking death on the Cheshire BMD site (Cheshire Births Marriages & Deaths) in 1884, in Heaton Norris (Stockport), for a Lucy CARRINGTON age 74.

Christine

Comment

I see that Emma BARRINGTON married John HARDMAN in 1880 q1 in Manchester Cathedral (formerly Manchester Collegiate Church) ~ per a combination of FreeBMD and Lancs BMD. The IGI narrows that to 13 JAN 1850.

Since Lucy is so insistent on the C - is this actually two different surnames? Is Emma the daughter of a sister of Lucy, and who may have married a (rhyming!) BARRINGTON?

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-12-09, 16:47.

Comment

Emma's here in 1851, with husband, John (b 1820-1 Harwood):
                HO107; Piece: 2157; Folio: 188; Page: 7

Likewise in 1861: John (b 1822-3 Bolton):
                RG9; Piece: 2570; Folio: 36; Page: 41

and 1871: John (b 1822-3 Harwood)
                RG10; Piece: 3664; Folio: 119; Page: 7

I'd hoped she might have been with a widowed parent sometime, but that seems not to be an option.

Christine

Comment

There's a baptism which shows up on Ancestry for Emma BARRINGTON, 19 May 1824 in Stockport. She's the daughter of William BARRINGTON and "Mary".

There's also a likely sibling, Anne Catherine, baptised 26 Apr 1822.

The only likely marriage for William & Mary (that's findable online - so it's by no means absolute) is between William Rupert BARRINGTON and Mary NEESHAM at St Mary's, Manchester 13 Dec 1820.

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-12-09, 17:22.

Comment

You have been so kind Christine, in finding all this information. Ann Catherine is my gg gmother. I did think there must be some connection between the Barringtons and Lucy Carrington. I have Ann's marr cert but it only states William as father, not William Rupert. However, a child of Ann's was named William Rupert. So maybe the marriage you found for William Rupert and Mary Neesham is correct.

If you can, can you tell me who else was in the household with Emma please? You have been very helpful, so I thank you very much.

boxer

Comment

Rupert's quite an unusual name - so that's quite persuasive.

Emma and John seem to make up their own household on each occasion - no children show up on the censuses. I can't particularly tell if they're sharing a building with anyone else.

Christine

PS - You don't say where you live, at all, but many county libraries in England have on-site (i.e. not from-home) access to Ancestry.com for free.

Comment

Thank you very much Christine. You have been a great help, I am most grateful.

Thanks again,

boxer

Comment

Working...
                        X