Would the Birth Cert have same info as Baptism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would the Birth Cert have same info as Baptism

If I got a Birth Cert would it say the same as the Baptism record eg like the Fathers name or would it be more truthful ????
    As I have a Baptism and I'm sure the Mother wasnt married to the man who is the Father and am hoping the Birth Cert says otherwise

Older baptism records (with some exceptions) have less info than newer ones, but the general is:

Date of baptism; Child's name and gender; father's name & surname, Mother's name; residence; father's occupation; name of person conducting the baptism.
    Some registers provide for DoB, as well, or the minister may enter that anyway.

A birth cert would have the DoB, with no ref to a baptism; place of birth; father's name & occupation; mother's name plus any former name(s); name/residence of informant - and any change of name registered later.

As for truthfulness - some people were happy to lie to Registrar but not clergy, others the other way around.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

hi Christine and thanks thing is I'm sure its my Great Grandmother with an illigitimate child as I cannot find a second marriage for her and she seems to have reverted to her maiden name on the Baptism
      I cannot find the man she names as the Father on the Census Records in either 1901 or 1911 ,in fact I cannot find any of them .
      I know she had a baby about that time
      Thought maybe the Birth cert might give more clues ?? as I also canot find the address they say on the Baptism record

Comment

Elusive address: was it in an area that was bombed? or has been redeveloped?

It's difficult once you start getting out-of-wedlock births, not least because of the social pressures for "respectability".

Christine?
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Elaine has found the address for me now thanks and she isnt there ??? which I'm not really surprised about.
          I shall find out I shall ,I never give up

Comment

A relative in the 19th century had a son who was baptised thus:
            his first name then a surname then his mother's surname.
            I don't have his birth certificate but his birth was registered as his first name and his mother's surname.
            Joy

Comment

Hello Val,
              Christine is correct. I'm currently transcribing 1896 Baptism Records from a Church in Liverpool which includes Dobs. Handwriting is terrible!

Comment

Joy that could be he was illigitimate and the mother gave him the fathers surname ??? I have one like that
                Alan that sounds a interesting thing to do wish I had time

Comment

Only recently I was in contact with a distant relation, descended from my gt x 3 aunt. She had an illegitimate child. No father listed on the birth cert, though she did name a father on her marriage cert. I found the LMA baptism records had her baptism, with surname the same as her father.

I've found baptisms with no father's name, but father named on birth cert, father named in baptism but not on birth cert, and illegit children were father is named in both.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I so far have not found any record of the father named so hoping I am right and the mother fibbed.

Comment

I have seem some baptisms which record father and mother with different surnames, I presumed they were not married and also "reputed father", presumably so the parish can make him pay upkeep for the child, rather than parish relief.

Di
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia
                      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                        I have seem some baptisms which record father and mother with different surnames, I presumed they were not married and also "reputed father", presumably so the parish can make him pay upkeep for the child, rather than parish relief.

Di
                        I've sometimes wondered - in the absence of time to spend checking - whether the mother's maiden name, in these cases is for info (like a birth cert) rather than to reflect non-marriage.

Christine

Comment

Scottish married women are often recorded by their maiden surname, sometimes without their married name as an alternative.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Non conformist records almost always give the mother's maiden name, whether the couple are married or not.

OC

Comment

Most of the non-con records I've seen give the mother's maiden name as her surname. They also give her parents' names...

Comment

Working...
                              X