No announcement yet.

Lost in 1871 - where are the children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in 1871 - where are the children?

1859 - Charles Willis Abell (born Gilling) married Mary Taylor (born Marton cum Moxby) - both villages in North Yorkshire.

1861 census - Charles, Mary and infant son William were living at The Grange, Farlington, where Charles' father farmed.

2 further Abell children born at Farlington - Edward (1862) & Ann Elizabeth (1864)
    Charles died at Farlington 23 Oct 1864.
    His father William died at Farlington 1 Jan 1868.

1871 - widow Mary Able was in Stillington, visiting with the Sawray family, but her children are NOT recorded as being with her.
    (Later census returns record Mary as a dressmaker, living in York, so she may have been in Stillington with a client.)

I do have Mary, William, Edward & Ann in 1881-1901. However, I am anxious to find all 3 children together in 1871, to confirm that Edward WAS a sibling of William & Annie. By 1881 William was in lodgings and was a teacher, Edward was apprenticed to a grocer and only Ann was at home in York with Mary.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Abell

Hi
    I have found what appears to be three children living at 8 Penly Grove Street York at the home of a John ? Taylor

Edward Abell 8
    Ann Elizabeth 7 ? Niece

It is very badly written and at the bottom of the previous page there appears a name which looks like it could be William name and place of birth not readable.

RG10/4749/F? Go back a page for William ?

Regards
    goodyg.

Comment

Hi Janet, yes agree with GGD, have captured the pages,if you need copies give me a shout.
      Regards Tony

Comment

Wow, Goody & Tony,

Thankyou so much - that is them, Edward & Annie transcribed as AbRell William not transcribed at all. (Looks like they are with mother's widowed brother & his children, as like Mary, John Taylor was born at Marton cum Moxby.)
        That seems to confirm that Edward was indeed the child of Charles Willis & Mary Abell.

I am very grateful to you both for your time & trouble.
        Tony, I am able to look at the image, so don't need to take you up on your kind offer of screen shots.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
        X