Can I ask a daft question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I ask a daft question???

Why do we assume everybody is on the census records ???? surely some are not because they did not to be found ?

I also am amazed at how many actually are on the census when it couldnt have been so hard to evade if you wanted too... for what ever reason!

Comment

well mine were a cunning lot but must say have found most of them but there are some that are elusive and I have tried all I can think of so am sure they just hid in a cellar or something

Comment

I thought it was/is a fineable offense not to fill in your census forms? Although if an enumerator came to my door one evening, I'd do the manly thing like I do when the avon lady comes round and turn the TV sound off and hide in the back room.
        Hail Spode!

Comment

I know what you mean...I have the same problem! wishing you luck val x

Comment

lol Guy but if they hid who would know ???

Comment

some are genuinely not on census.

For example Chrissie Smiff has 'Lignavitre Heaps' she 'appears' in 1841 cannot be found in 1851 and dies in 1860. The whole family were 'travellers' and regularly can't be found in the census.

there are also those that are in some institutions that have only been enumerated by their initials, how the heck are we supposed to know WHO they are?

You think English stuff is bad, the USA census are just as confusing (and they dont seem to have a BMD index either!!!) so its very hit and miss who you will find, and seems to take 5 times longer to find them!...lol

and!!!!! The USA census jumps from 1880 to 1900!!! the 1890 census got burnt, a few bits did survive, but very little.
              Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-12-09, 19:38.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I know what you mean about the ones with only initials so frustrating, and that search for Chrissie's had me searching for ages too I do hate being beaten.

Comment

My great grandfather Albert ARRAND is not on the 1901 or the 1911 censuses. :F Rare name - should be easy enough!!!

If anyone can find him I'd be very grateful and even more surprised! He was born in Silkstone, West Yorks (near Barnsley) in 1858. He was a tailor. My great grandmother died in 1894 leaving him with 4 small girls who he promptly gave into the care of his mother-in-law. I guess he just didn't want to be found :F

He turns up again in Manchester, marrying Elizabeth Barclay in 1913. He died in 1930 in Manchester. One of the little girls took her own daughter to see him in Manchester in the 1920s, so its part of family memory then.

Anne

Comment

I think they are mostly there, but so magnificently mistranscribed that no one has a hope in Hull of finding them.

I also think that it would be an unbelievable miracle if a few household schedules didn't get lost along the way and a few more enumerators' pages didn't get lost or misplaced or eaten by mice or whatever.

I distinctly remember reading some years ago (more than one source) that the 1911 census was in a poor state and anything between 10%-40% was missing or so badly damaged it would be useless.

We now have the 1911 census available but no one is saying whether any of it is missing, or how much.

In 1851, the famous "wet census" of Manchester has succeeded in completely hiding my 2 x GGF, despite the sterling restoration efforts, he is on one of the pages which simply cannot be restored.

It would also be extremely useful (dream on, OC!) if there was a list somewhere of citizens who were fined for not filling the form in. I vaguely remember a couple of names of refusers in my local rag after the 2001 census and am sure similar cases appeared in local papers in earlier times.

OC

Comment

Hi - I read that some women purposely didn't complete or wouldn't put their names on the 1911 census in rebellion to the treatment of females.

Comment

that would have been my nan she was all for womens lib

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                          My great grandfather Albert ARRAND is not on the 1901 or the 1911 censuses. :F Rare name - should be easy enough!!!

If anyone can find him I'd be very grateful and even more surprised! He was born in Silkstone, West Yorks (near Barnsley) in 1858. He was a tailor. My great grandmother died in 1894 leaving him with 4 small girls who he promptly gave into the care of his mother-in-law. I guess he just didn't want to be found :F

He turns up again in Manchester, marrying Elizabeth Barclay in 1913. He died in 1930 in Manchester. One of the little girls took her own daughter to see him in Manchester in the 1920s, so its part of family memory then.

Anne
                          Hi Anne - This has happened to me quite regularly. He probably is there, but mistranscribed...there is an Alice Arrand for example, born 1858 :smilee:
                          Maybe he used a middle name, or was called Bert etc..
                          I've constantly played around with the ** and eventually found the people..but info is often wrong...one lots of ggp's famiy appear with two spellings...though the sheet is correct, one ggf shows as being 8....his oldest child was 11! :Big Grin:

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                            Hi - I read that some women purposely didn't complete or wouldn't put their names on the 1911 census in rebellion to the treatment of females.
                            so far I've not found my gt gt gran, who would be 66.
                            She died in 1915, in the town where she'd lived for 50 years. In 1911 she's not with any of her 5 daughters, who were all married by then (she's a widow). Her 2 sons went to America, but given her age, I doubt she's visiting either of them. Somehow I don't think she was into Women's Suffrage. Guess I'll never know.

In the meantime, if anyone can suggest any likely mistranscriptions for Agnes Richardson born July 1844 Somerset (every census from 1871 she said Bristol, though it wasn't even the nearest town), probably living in Middlesbrough...
                            Vicky

Comment

I agree mistranscriptions are the most likely cause of someone who is apparently missing...

I know some of you know this tale. I was searching the 1851 for a George Cray married to a Maria, with children Charles, George, Eliza & Hannah. Eliza would definitely be alive as she's my gt gt gran, she was born 1843 in London. I had her in 1861 in London then by 1871 she's in Newcastle, married.
                              After some superb sleuthing on GR by some of the best brains I've had the privilege of knowing, a record was found for a George Overoy with the right occupation & children that fitted, but no wife. Even looking at the original image its difficult to read it as Cray, but with that particular combination of names, birth places & occupation it warranted serious investigation. I got another couple of certificates & could then be confident it was the correct record. Wife Maria had died a few weeks earlier. The family are living right where they should be, with a bonus of Maria's sister helping out looking after the children. I'd even missed the record doing a page-by-page search of the area.

So I submitted a correction to Ancestry and a couple of months later got a contact from a distant cousin who had also been looking for George. He had also missed it doing a street-by-street search, but he had less information than I had, as Maria was George's second wife and his line came down from one of his sons by his first wife, so he didn't know about the girls born to Maria.
                              This chap had been looking for George for 20 YEARS.
                              Vicky

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                I think they are mostly there, but so magnificently mistranscribed that no one has a hope in Hull of finding them.

OC
                                Please don't mention Hull, as I consider that to be a black hole (or black Hull).

My Duffields were in Hull - I have birth certs for children born either side of the 1851, both Hull, but the family are not on the census. In fact Mrs Duffield was born in 1826 and didn't appear on a census until 1881, although I have a possible sighting in 1861.
                                Hubby has one line, the Walkers - parents both born in the 1820s in Hull, and 4 sons all born there between 1840 and 1866 who only appear in any records after they move to Leeds for the 1871 census.

The only family I've manage to find in Hull were some of my lot who should have been in Cockermouth (may have moved to escape floods!)
                                Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Whilst I've had difficulty in finding some of mine - I have had a case of being in two places at the same time for the census!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

My grandfather is missing in 1901 and with a name like Woodage I should be able to find him although the rest of the family were mistranscribed as Woodhatch

Comment

I found one of mine by doing a street trawl.

There they were, exactly where they should have been, but all with the wife's maiden surname.

I pondered this for ages - the couple were long and respectably married and were still there on later census, so not a question of a name change to avoid some unpleasantness or other, lol.

I finally came to the conclusion that it was the ENUMERATOR'S fault. The family had lived at the same address for at least 150 years and the enumerator must have mentally thought of it as " the Green's house" completely forgetting that the daughter had married and now had a different surname, even though she still occupied the family home.

OC

Comment

I laughed my head off when I finally found my Nan with her family on the 1901 Census after a lot of searching ,they were under the name Lester although they were Miller, after I spoke to an old aunt she said oh that was his stage name LOL
                                        He was far as I know only a street singer.

Comment

Working...
                                        X