thread divorced/disolved help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thread divorced/disolved help please

have read the thread about the above, but could do with a bit of advice.got a marr 1974 between a bachelor and spinster.
    she remarried 1981 using her maiden name. his says previous marr disolved, her's previous marr anulled. then after according to the rites and ceremonis of the established church, it says 'after superintendant Registrars Certificate'.
    so does that mean she had to show it had been anulled, but if it had and she was not obliged to disclose the fact, and could refer to herself as a spinster, why would that have been put on the marr cert ?

"Annulled" means that it has been made as if it had never happened, rather than that it had existed and had been brought to a legal end (divorce).

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

yes I understand that bit Christine, what I want to know is why the cert had 'after Superintendant Registrars Certificate' written on it if it had been anulled and she needn't disclose the fact she had had the first ceromany

Comment

Sorry - I hadn't grasped what you were asking - and I see what you mean.

Have you tried googling any of the technical expressions to see if there's anything useful?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

will have a go with that ta

Comment

googled, can find annulments but can't find out why that would have been written on the cert or wether it has any significance, can anybody give me any ideas please

Comment

Jan,

I think the explanation must be that although her annulment officially signified that she had not been legally married before, the officiating registrar or vicar knew of the previous "marriage ceremony" and wanted to be sure that they could legally marry her this time. It is that rare case where one can prove a negative!

Peter

Comment

EDIT - IGNORE this post, see JayG's post below!

Well, I'm guessing here, but it does sound as if she was in doubt as to her marital state and the Superintendant Registrar got involved and ruled that her first "marriage" was null and void.

You could write to the GRO and ask, but as it is relatively recently, they may not tell you. What ever the reason, I think you can safely assume that there were unusual circumstances because otherwise the Superintendant Registrar wouldn't have needed to get involved.

OC
                Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 30-11-09, 22:19. Reason: Idiocy

Comment

Try this Jan

Legal Requirements - England & Wales - Weddings UK

I've got lots of people in my tree married by Superintendent Registrar's Certificate, neither of them previously married. It's just an alternative getting married by Banns or Licence.
                  Jay

Comment

I'm SO SORRY, everyone - I was confusing "Superintendant Registrar" with Registrar General!

OC

Comment

thanks JAYG and everyone who has taken the time to answer. Would anyone know how to find info on the annulment, would I have to write up to the Court Services in London, or is that just for divorces ? thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X