M on a burial record 1780's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M on a burial record 1780's

Looking at some burials in the BT's on familysearch noticed some had a M next to them. Would this mean Minor?

Trying to find a burial of a child, if the M means Minor then there's a possibility i've found who i'm looking for.

Thanks
    Jay

I don't know, Jay. My experience of minors is that it always gives age. Hope someone else can help.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think M for Minor is highly unlikely. Was it a churchyard or a publice cemetery?
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

As you are consulting BTs, is it possible there are returns from more than one place of worship, and that "M" stands for Mother church?

(I have never seen the word minor used in burial records and cannot see why it would be - "minor" is a legal concept and you don't have to be any particular age in order to die, lol!)

OC

Comment

The burial is from 1782 & a CofE church.

There's no ages attached to any of the burials, or occupations, parentage etc.

It was just my best guess really that the M could be Minor, I can't think of anything else it could be.
          Jay

Comment

I have transcribed many parish registers for freereg and have never come across a M next to an entry.

On child burials the entry might say son of or daughter of and give the father's name. But not always.

You also have to consider that quite often any notes made were in Latin.

There is one thing the M might stand for and that is 'Methodist'. The Vicar may not have been happy burying someone who attended the local chapel.

Just a thought
            Malc

OPC for Coleford, Somerset

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Malc, one I hadn't considered.
              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                There is one thing the M might stand for and that is 'Methodist'. The Vicar may not have been happy burying someone who attended the local chapel.

Just a thought
                Just a tad early I think. John and Charles Wesley died in the late 1780s and the Methodist church wasn't established in name until a bit later.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                  Just a tad early I think. John and Charles Wesley died in the late 1780s and the Methodist church wasn't established in name until a bit later.
                  It wasn't acknowledged as a separate denomination untill the 1800's no, but methodist preaching was well established by the 1760's, and missionaries were emmigrating abroad by this time too. I come from an area (north staffordshire) where Wesley preached personally many times and where many of the very early methodist societies and churches were established during his lifetime.

Must say I've never come across notations like this 'M' in records though.

Comment

Anything to do with Morte cloths?:conf:

Comment

Working...
                    X