Signs and Symbols on the keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signs and Symbols on the keyboard

I am seeking help please in finding out how to ferret out the Signs and Symbols that are hidden in the computer keyboard. I know how to get some of them but one that has me stumped is the ~ that you put over the n in Senor. How do you get the ~ and the n to appear in the same space?
    I know that this sounds a bit like Double Dutch but I am hoping someone might be able to help me.
    Thanks in advance.
    Wynford

I've found a few codes for you Wynford, do they help?

á ALT+0225
    é ALT+0233
    í ALT+0237
    ó ALT+0243
    ú ALT+0250
    ñ ALT+0241
    ü ALT+0252

Á ALT+0193
    É ALT+0201
    Í ALT+0205
    Ó ALT+0211
    Ú ALT+0218
    Ñ ALT+0209
    Ü ALT+0220

¿ ALT+0191
    ¡ ALT+0161
    º ALT+0186 (Masculine Ordinal)
    ª ALT+0170 (Feminine Ordinal)
    « ALT+0171 (Left Angle Quote)
    » ALT+0187 (Right Angle Quote)
    ALT+0128

Or failing that, just copy and paste what you want. You can change the font type, font size and colour.
    Last edited by Guest; 30-11-09, 05:41.

Comment

Thank you John. I have printed them out and tucked them safely away.
      Wynford.

Comment

If you are using Microsoft Word, you can also insert accents by pressing Ctrl and the symbol for the accent, followed by the letter.

So, to put a tilde over the n (ñ) you would press Ctrl-~ (Ctrl-Shift-`) followed by the "n" key.

To put an umlaut over an e (ë) you would press Ctrl-: (Ctrl-Shift-; ) followed by the "e" key.

For more key combinations, see: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...865621033.aspx
        Last edited by Cloggie; 30-11-09, 06:20.
        Sarah

Comment

Thank you Sarah. I appreciate your info and will put it with John's.
          I have been asking various Techno-people in Sydney and here in Tasmania about Signs and Symbols but have received some very strange looks.
          Wynford.

Comment

You'll be the leading authority on Signs and Symbols before long Wynford. :Wink::Big Grin:

Comment

A bit late at my time of life but I guess - better late than never.
              Wynford

Comment

Hi Wynford - Pleased you asked as I didn't know either!! I've been playing around for the last hour with alt and the numeric part of the keyboard!

Comment

Hi Naomi. I did find a website and printed some out and followed all the instructions to the letter but they didn't work. Don't know why. My son has Apple Macintosh and I have Microsoft. He thinks they have different systems. He asks - Why bother?, just leave it off. But I am a stickler for doing things correctly. Gets me into a lot of trouble at times......but I don't care. That's just the way I am.
                  I have got a free day tomorrow so will have a play around too.
                  If I find anything exciting, I will let you know.
                  Wynford.

Comment

We'll be experts before you know it! :smilee:

Comment

Hi Wynford
                      In Word - Click on INSERT - Special Character - Click on Font - Scroll down to Font Verdana and you will find The N with the ~ symbol there and others

Comment

You can insert an n with a tilde in any font in Word (not just Verdana), by clicking on Insert > Symbol. Just leave font set to "normal text", and scroll down until you find the ñ, then click on it. The ñ appears in the "Latin-1" subset.

Using the keyboard shortcuts is a lot quicker though. :smilee:
                        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Wynford View Post
                          Hi Naomi. I did find a website and printed some out and followed all the instructions to the letter but they didn't work. Don't know why. My son has Apple Macintosh and I have Microsoft. He thinks they have different systems. He asks - Why bother?, just leave it off. But I am a stickler for doing things correctly. Gets me into a lot of trouble at times......but I don't care. That's just the way I am.
                          I have got a free day tomorrow so will have a play around too.
                          If I find anything exciting, I will let you know.
                          Wynford.
                          Mac and Windows will have some different shortcuts. Also, key combinations may vary depending on your keyboard layout (US, International, etc.).

While on the subject of keyboard shortcuts, here are some more you might find interesting: Keyboard shortcuts for Windows

And this lists some of the differences between Mac and Windows:
                          Ultimate Switcher Guide: Windows PC to Mac Keyboard Shortcuts :: My First Mac - Help Buying and Getting Started with Your New Mac
                          Sarah

Comment

Thank you James and Sarah.
                            It seems that I have opened a real Pandora's Box. I am up early today and can't wait to get started on looking for all these Signs and Symbols. More 'things' to put into my folder of 'Things Nobody Tells You About the Computer".
                            Wynford.

Comment

On the other hand one could simply go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character map

That is on an XP system Vista has it in a similar position but I can't remember if it the exact route.
                              Cheers
                              Guy
                              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thank you Guy.
                                I will try that too. I have Microsoft XP Professional.
                                Wynford.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                                  On the other hand one could simply go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character map

That is on an XP system. Vista has it in a similar position but I can't remember if it the exact route.
                                  Same on Vista.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Hello John,
                                    Your suggestion is the only one that works on my computer viz: Alt+0241 for the tilde over the top of the n in Senor BUT..............it still doesn't work when I am typing a message in the Quick Reply message space on FTF......as we have previously discussed offline. It only works when I am typing in Notepad or Wordpad or an email.
                                    Sooooooo frustrating.
                                    Wynford.

Comment

Hello All,
                                      I had better explain my previous message............
                                      I did contact John a few weeks ago on the same subject and I have been trying to sort it out eversince. What I discovered was, when I press Alt+0163 the pound sterling sign should come up but on FTF it takes me to Google. The same happens when I type
                                      Alt+171 for the 1/2 (half) and Alt+172 for 1/4 (quarter). I haven't tried Alt+0190 for 3/4(three quarters). I am not game (brave enough) to try it for fear that my message will disappear on me. It works quite OK, as I say, in Notepad, Word and emails
                                      Any group of numbers with a 5 6 or 7 in it takes me to Google.
                                      After I have sent this message I will try the 3/4.
                                      My son thinks it is to do with the Microsoft programs as his Applie Macintosh doesn't play up on him in the same way.
                                      I hate not knowing WHY!!!!!!!!
                                      Wynford

Comment

¾

Well, how about that.............It worked.

Comment

Working...
                                        X