Baptisms again why a A or P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptisms again why a A or P

noticed by the side of some of them is a big capital A or P any reasons for this
    have to go out soon so I am not ignoring you will be back later for any responses thanks

Can you give us some examples please Val. The context might give a clue.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

What sort of date are we talking about?

P stands for "pauper", I think, so they didn't have to pay a fee.

Comment

I've never seen this - well, I've seen "P" but never "A".

I wonder if it means "A" for admitted into the church and "P" for privately baptised?

OC

Comment

- Ancestry.com.au

see this link

Comment

The P for Rose Violet Rooke on that page clearly means that she was privately baptised, because she was received into the church later (which was the standard practice after a private baptism).

I wonder if A means an adult baptism?

They aren't standard abbreviations in any parish records I've ever seen (although none of mine are from London). The ones I've seen marked "pauper" were much earlier (18th c).

Comment

thanks Mary ,I'm afraid I'm not religious at all so dont understand what exactly does it mean about being received into the church???

Comment

Val

If a person is privately baptised, they then have to be received into the church, which is a slightly different ceremony to straight-forward baptism.

Normally, a Vicar or Priest publicly baptises the child in front of the congregation and thus the child/adult is also being received into the church. But in the case of a private baptism, then the person has to also be received into the "body" of the church - I hope that makes sense.

Put another way - private baptism makes you fit for an immediate meeting with your maker, lol, without any need to be accepted as part of the Church on earth and a public baptism admits you to membership of the church until such time as you go to meet your maker.

OC

Comment

oh I see now thanks very much OC you explain it well

Comment

I think that the A does mean adult one of the baptism in the parish record I have has adult written in the margin.

Comment

that makes sense thanks Jac

Comment

Working...
                      X