Handwriting expert needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handwriting expert needed please

I recently posted a picture of Jim in the pictures section asking for uniform ID. Pilgrim kindly told me that it was Royal Navy.
    At the time all I knew was the name Jim on the back.

My sister has now found a letter written to my mother , it is a picture letter of Australian animals and was written in July 1945. He signed it Jim and on the front has put his name and I presume his Naval number and rank.
    Could a hand writing expert please look at the image and de-cypher the number for me .
    I have found out that HMS Golden Hind was a shore base in Sydney.

Ken

Could it be 570828 ?
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Hi Stella

That is what I thought, but thought I would see if any experts had an more ideas.

Ken

Comment

Not sure that the second number is a 7.
        I think the line at the top, which you think forms the top of the 7, is actually the top part of the first number - 5.

Does that make sense? :conf:
        Elaine

Comment

Perhaps 500828 then.

Comment

Yes, either 500828 or 560828
            Elaine

Comment

500827?

That's how it seems to me that stroke makes the first number a five and not the second number a seven and that the second number is joined with the next making them both zeros. I think the eight and 2 is fairly clear but the 7 is dodgy the last number could be a six.

oops crossed posts with Elaine who thinks the same with regards to first two numbers and I think there's seven numbers not six...
              Last edited by Guest; 29-11-09, 15:18.

Comment

or 670828 :Big Grin:

Comment

As it is probably his Navy No. how many digits should there be ?

Ken

Comment

708225 is my guess. L/MM is his rating, the L is for Leading. I'm not sure of the MM but if you cannot find it I know who to ask !

Comment

Not knowing anything about the RN I assumed that his rating was there but what it is I have no idea.

Ken

Comment

Maybe 5008275

I think there are seven numbers.

Anne

Comment

Oh dear...

Without looking at everyone else's ideas, I had 5408275! At least I have Anne's agreement for most of it.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                            Oh dear...

Without looking at everyone else's ideas, I had 5408275! At least I have Anne's agreement for most of it.

Christine
                            Hi - I also had 54082_5 - I read it as a 3.

Comment

Could be worth an e mail to Contact Us - Royal Australian Navy
                              also The National Archives | Getting started | Family History | Military
                              you can search for the ship as well......I've found info before with the name of the ship and crew etc..not all Australian ships/bases....from all over
                              on the UK side - Royal Navy Research Archive Home Page
                              One of these organisations should be able to give you an idea about or confirm the number.
                              Last edited by naomiatt; 30-11-09, 02:52.

Comment

L/MM is very likely to be Leading Motor Mechanic - and I'm fairly sure the C in C/MX refers to Chatham - which would have been his home base. Numbers were generally 5, 6 or 7 digits - in his case it looks like 7

Have you worked out who he is yet - possibly - birth registered Romford (Essex) 4th qtr 1922 - mmn Windebank - 3 probable siblings though no easily identifiable parent's marriage

Not sure why he called himself Jim though - unless it was some sort of pet name or nickname

Cheers
                                Sue
                                Last edited by SueNSW; 30-11-09, 04:59.

Comment

I also thought it was 5408275

Comment

Sorry I had to disappear yesterday , a sudden visit from family.

Thanks to all who posted. Thanks to Suensw for the interpretation of the letters.
                                    There is not a real consensus on his number so I will have to try combinations when I search the TNA , If I get no joy I shall try the Navy.

I thought he would be a bit older than the 1922 person , I had 3 possibles , Reginald W 1910 Romford , Ronald W 1914 Hampshire and Richard W 1915 Middlesex.

So if I find anything final I will post and let you know.

Ken

Comment

Hello,
                                      Jim was a Chatham rating and a motor mechanic, the photo was taken much later than the letter was posted. In the photo he was a Petty Officer, promoted from a Leading Mechanic, HMS Golden Hind was a shore establishment in Sydney Australia, they dealt with the admin of the ships in the Pacific fleet.
                                      best regards Pilgrim

Comment

Hi Ken - There are over 300 mentions of the Golden Hind in the Australian Archives including men with the C/MX number and also a nominal role......
                                        if you enter search as a guest user and put Golden Hind in the top line (nothing else) ..all the info will come up. I started scrolling through the numbers, but then thought it would be easier for you to look with the surname.
                                        You might also find photo's...
                                        RecordSearch - National Archives of Australia

Comment

Working...
                                        X