Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanishing Hiles

This one will keep you busy.

In 1860 John Edward Hiles married Sarah Nash in Gloucester. They went on to have 7 children all born in Gloucester: Joseph Edward, b. 1861, Albert Ernest, 1862, Violet Pamela Eugene 1863, Blanche, 1865, Sarah Letitia, 1867, Hector 1869 and Archibald Alexander in 1872. In 1873 Sarah died and John marries Sarah's sister Rhoda a year later. They then had a further 7 children.

My problem is with the first family - they all vanish. The first four can only be found up to 1881 census. The 2 boys are lodgers, the 2 girls still at home. The three youngest are only found up to 1891, again the boy is away from home. Interestingly most of them become Drapers assistants or Draper.

I cannot find any marriages for any of the girls, and was wondering if they were sent off to new worlds. I have found an entry for a Joseph E Hiles b. 1861 in the 1910 US census (in Orange, California) but can't access it.

Can anyone find any of them?

Thanks in advance

Linda
    Last edited by ozgirl; 29-11-09, 12:55. Reason: spelling!
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Hi Linda,
    The Joseph in the 1910 US census is the brother os a Albert E b c 1863 in England.
    Sounds promising.
    I will PM you.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Hi again,
      There is a Blanche Hiles who marries in 1887.
      The others male names on the record are a Tolley and a Bailey.
      I then went to the 1891 census and looked for a Blanche Tolley - there is the following-
      Blanche Tolley, b c 1865 in Gloucester.
      Could this be your girl?
      I will PM you the details.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I think Archibald Alexander may be my grandfather. He changed his name to George Mayo when he married a circus girl, probably in the 1890s. He called his first som Hector which is another indication that this is he.
        Pauline

Comment

Hi Pauline, welcome to FTF - wow, that is wonderful. I would love to exchange info with you. Archibald Alexander was my great grandfathers cousin, and I have a reasonable amount of information on the Hiles family. I'd love to know what he did in the circus! Hope to hear from you soon

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Vanishing Hiles

Hi Linda
            Thanks for the reply. I really know very little about the Hiles family. I remember my mother telling me that she used to visit an aunt in Gloucester, probably somewhere between 1919 and 1926 or so. She then came out here to Australia and lost touch with her family after WWII. Her family lived mostly in Yorkshire, mostly in Hull and Archibald, or George as he called himself opened what would then have been called an apothecary shop. There were 4 children - Hector, then my mother Eveline, born 1905, then Harriet and William. My grandmother was killed in the war when Hull was bombed. Bill was in the airforce and also died in the war. Hector had one son, Harriet, one daughter, Bill had no children. I had 2 older brothers. One of my brothers visited the family in Hull in 1949, and I believe George died a few years later. We lost contact until my mother was able to find them again in 1978 when she visited England after 50 years away. Hector died while she was there. My mother died in 1994, Harriet a few years later. Hector's son died last year. The only descendants now are myself and my cousin Zandra who still lives in Yorkshire. I visited England in July and caught up with her. We both agreed that we would like to find out more about the family. My grandmother's maiden name was Roseanna Stokes and her family were Italian gypsies. When my grandfather married her the family virtually disowned him. I think he did stay with the circus for a while before they were married, but probably only did labouring. My mother also used to tell me that one of the Hiles had gone to America and opened up a store of some kind.

You call yourself ozgirl - are you in Australia?

Pauline

Comment

Hi Pauline, great to hear from you. Thanks very much for all the information. I have managed to find some details on your branch of the Hiles - Archibald/George was the son of John Edward Hiles and Sarah Nash, born in Gloucester in early 1872. He had 3 brothers and 3 sisters. Unfortunately his mother died when he was only 1, and his father remarried the following year, to his late wifes sister. They then had a further 7 children (5 boys, 2 girls), so rather a large family. Of Georges brothers, I have traced one, Albert Ernest who went to California, probably in the early 1890's, married and had 4 children. His elder brother, Joseph also went out to the States, but doesn't seem to have married.

John Edward Hiles parents were Thomas Hiles and Mary Jackson (also my ggg grandparents). Evidently there is some kind of rumour that Mary was related to Stonewall Jackson, but I have yet to find anything to support that. Mary came from York and Thomas from Gloucestershire. Their other son, George Thomas, my gg grandfather eventually went to Oxford where he married and had 10 children - I have found that during the 1800's all Hiles in Oxford were from this one family.

At the moment I can take the Hiles family back another 4 generations to about 1660. I am having a bit more trouble with all the wives and their families. If you would like more detailed info, please reply to my personal message, and I would be happy to send it to you.

Regarding my FTF name - I am originally from Australia, but am now in chilly England. All my family are in Australia though, in Melbourne. What part are you in? My grandparents emigrated there in early 1920's, and settled in Bathurst.
              Linda

Comment

Working...
              X