AVG Free version 8.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVG Free version 8.5?

I have AVG Free version 8.5 anti virus. Should I be upgrading to version 9?
    If so, can anyone give a computer dumbo some helpful hints how to do it? I keep getting a reminder that my anti virus protection ends on 1st Dec.

Lesley
    Last edited by Punchs mum; 28-11-09, 19:47. Reason: spelling!

You will need to upgrade because the old version will no longer be supported, i.e. you won't get any updates of the virus database etc.

If the reminder message has a link to the upgrade site, follow that, otherwise you can go direct to AVG Free - Download Free Antivirus and Antispyware for Windows 7, Vista and XP. On that page follow the link to AVG Anti-virus Free Edition 9.0. They will keep trying to make you buy the non-free version, but keep following the "Free edition" or "free download" buttons. Eventually you will be redirected to a download site where you can download the software. After downloading, you then install it and it will replace the existing version. You will probably have to stop AVG running before you install.

I hope this helps, but come back or send a personal message if you have any problems.

Laurence.

Comment

I'm in the process of downloading the above - thanks to the guidence from Laurence, but its taking ages - am i doing it right, how long does it take and, will it remove the old AVG please??
      Jacky

Comment

How long is 'ages'

It took quite a while when I downloaded it - certainly 5-10 minutes - and of course it will depend a lot on your internet connection.

Once the file has downloaded then just click on it and it will autorun and install itself and sort out any old versions of AVG which may be on your computer.

Once installed click on Update as there will probably be some updates which need downloading as well.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine,

Its been running about 20 mins now - about a quarter left to go, i thought it would be as quick as an update :emb::Big Grin:
          Jacky

Comment

Does seem rather a long time - perhaps you have a slow connection.

Just let it run - you've got time to go and make the bed and put the kettle on! :Big Grin:
            Elaine

Comment

Sorry i didnt reply Elaine, i had to do a restart but, it all done and updated now :smilee:

Jacky

Comment

Had an early night last night so have only just got back to this Thread.
                Thanks for your helpful replies, everyone, and will attempt the download later today when I have more time to concentrate!

Will be back though if I need more help....thanks again. Watch this space!

Lesley

Comment

Have just downloaded the AVG 9 (I think!) successfully! The icon on my desktop says AVG9 so I am assuming it has been downloaded OK!!!

Thanks again to everybody for their advice!

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                  X