Crew List...Out of London, 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crew List...Out of London, 1945

Does anyone please have access to a crew list for 'Settler' which sailed from London 20 December 1945 bound for Mauritius.?
    A check of the inward list of that ship arriving in London just prior to that would be great too.
    Searching for William Mckenzie NEWLANDS, b. 1890 in Scotland.

I've just been looking up something similar, for a rellie who was a Ship's Engineer. I found him on various passenger lists on Ancestry. I think you'll find the records are held all over the place depending on dates and type of record. If you Google you should find the same information as I did.

There are 2 entries for him on Ancestry (UK incoming passenger lists):

22 Nov 1937 passenger on "Edinburgh Castle" Cape Town to Southampton, tug master aged 47 travelling to Woodside, Aberdeen.
    18 Sep 1959 passenger on "Pretoria Castle" Durban to Southampton, storekeeper born 21 Nov 1890, c/o Thomas Cook, Bristol.
    Last edited by Uncle John; 28-11-09, 21:21.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There's a National Archives guide to researching crew lists. It's quite complicated. What's where depends partly on dates. There are some records where 10% are held at Kew, most of the rest in Newfoundland, and other bits and pieces in local ROs.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you.....Sorry....
        Do you mean that William will not be on a separate crew list, but I should search specific passenger lists?

I am trying to find out where and when he is likely to have met his future 'wife'.
        She travelled out from London on the 'Settler' and is listed with surname EMPTAGE. (her 1st married name)
        The ship arrived in Mauritius in February 1946 and by early June 1947 the couple were in Sussex, UK for the birth of their son Walter. Prior to that..... and afterwards, William was based on ships off the east coast of Africa, based in Port Elizabeth.
        Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 28-11-09, 21:30.

Comment

I managed to find the crew lists for SS Metagama in 1916 in Kew - including the crossing on which my (probable) grandfather claimed to have crossed in May 1916 to Montreal. I'd already failed to find him in the passenger lists, so I was very disappointed not to find him in the crew lists either - I even went back to Kew again to make sure I hadn't missed him (having taken a whole lot of digital images on the first attempt)!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine
            I've not yet been to Kew..... I look forward to going before too long. I'm sure there will be alot of answers there, once I fathom out the search system.

Comment

Here's a link to the National Maritime Museum website. As Christine said, crew records are spread all over the place.

Research guide C1: The Merchant Navy: Tracing people: Crew lists, agreements and official logs : The Merchant Navy : Research guides : The Library : Researchers : NMM

I was fortunate to find 4 records for my great-uncle, a ship's engineer, in among the USA incoming "lists of aliens" on Ancestry. One was Oregon, two were New York and the third was a short hop from Vancouver to Seattle.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X